1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Aramaic: Love

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Phileo, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Phileo New Member

English
    And more particularly, in the modern Aramaic script, the one that looks a lot like the Hebrew script.

Maybe how to properly pronounce it, too?

Thank you

*** Also, I want to learn Aramaic, for praying and that sort of thing, but I know there are presently many versions of Aramaic, so I want to know which variety I should focus on. Anything remotely close to what Jesus spoke is what I'm looking for, or just the most widely used, I suppose.

Thanks again

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Strictly speaking, it is the other way round: Hebrew is written with a variant of the "Imperial Aramaic" (=Babylonian-Aramaic) script. The word is /ħubbɑ/ in both Judaeo-Aramaic and Syriac. Judaeo-Aramaic (the language spoken by Jews in the days of Jesus, together with Hebrew) is at the verge of extinction. Most Neo-Aramaic speakers are Christian Syriac speakers (not a very large group either, 0.5M people at most).

Spellings:
    חובא (Judeo-Aramaic)
    ܚܘܒܐ (Syriac)
    The difference is in letter shape only. ܚ-ח, ܘ-ו, ܒ-ב, ܐ-א correspond 1:1.

3. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    At least since the work of Kutscher in the 1960s and of his pupil Sokoloff, the terms “Jewish Aramaic” or “Jud(a)eo-Aramaic” are no longer used by Semitists. Instead, they distinguish between Biblical Aramaic, Jewish Palestinian (Western) Aramaic, Jewish Babylonian (Eastern) Aramaic, and Jewish (Eastern) Neo-Aramaic.

Syriac is the Church language of several Eastern Churches. The Aramaic dialects spoken today by Christians in the Near East include several dialects of Modern Western Aramaic (in Syria) and of Modern Eastern Aramaic (formerly called “Neo-Syriac”) in Iraq.

The most common word for “love” – and especially in its Biblical/Christian sense – in Syriac is remϑā, in Syriac script:

ܪܚܡܬܐ

corresponding to JBA רחמתא.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  4. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Depends of the level of detail you want to get into. The term is at list still popularly known.

5. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    The difference between Western Aramaic (e.g. the language of the Palestinian Talmud) and Eastern Aramaic (e.g. the language of the Babylonian Talmud, Syriac, Mandaic, modern Jewish and Christian Eastern Aramaic) is as fundamental as the difference between High German and Low German. Nobody would think of grouping the dialects spoken by Catholics in the Rhineland together with those spoken in Bavaria as “Catholic German”. That is why “Jewish Aramaic” is also wrong. This is not a question of detail but of linguistic sense versus linguistic nonsense.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  6. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    If you want to learn Aramaic from a Christian perspective you should learn classical Syriac. It is not exactly the form of Aramaic spoken by Jesus, but it is the language in which the Aramaic-speaking Christians read the Bible and conduct their services.

7. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Whatever. If you insist, the variety the OP is after ("Anything remotely close to what Jesus spoke") is called "Judean Aramaic" by Sokoloff, i.e. what was spoken and written by Jews in Judea between the Maccabean and the Bar-Kokhbar revolts which includes the second temple period when Jesus lived. The languages of the eastern and Western Talmud existed later and Biblical Aramaic earlier.

8. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Root ר-ח-מ is also the one used many times in the Unqelos translation for Hebrew א-ה-ב = love.

9. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    In the Syriac versions of the New Testament forms from the root r-ḥ-m are generally used for φιλία, φιλέω etc., and forms from ḥ-b-b for ἀγάπη, ἀγαπάω etc., but there are exceptions.

10. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    You make me smile fbd,
    That sounds more like something taken from a clip of Monty Python :
    *Do you know the difference between Milhüsa (Elsàss)-ditsch and Basler (Schwyzer)-tütsch?

Phileo, If you wish to pray as Jesus taught us to pray, then try praying in your mother tongue.
    That's what Jesus was doing when he spoke Aramaic, surely?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  11. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    I guess Jesus prayed in Hebrew, although he may have spoken Aramaic as mother language.