1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    In a Spanish fashion magazine it says...

"Por ello vuelven los bañadores, los biquinis se diversifican con nuevas propuestas como los cinturones, las arandelas y los estampados alegres y los triquinis se consolidan con originales diseños en elegantes piezas de colores neutros y discretos o en otros más sofisticados en plata, oro o en estampados felinos."

What are arandelas in this context? I thought those were metal or rubber rings one puts under a screw or bolt. I know what a bikini is, but what is a trikini?

2. Argónida

Argónida Senior Member

Español-Andalucía
  3. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Thank you Argónida. Why is the bathing suit called a triquini? Is the top made of two pieces (that tie in the back)?

4. Argónida

Argónida Senior Member

Español-Andalucía
    My English isn't very good, but I'll try to explain:

A "triquini" is like a "biquini", but with a piece of material that joins the two pieces (the top and the knickers) across the belly (not across the back), like on the picture.

I think it's called "triquini" because it has three pieces (tri=three, while bi=two): the top, the knickers and the piece that joins them.

5. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    Note that the top of the "triquini" is fastened in the front with an arandela.

6. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Argónida, your English is perfect. OK, so the difference between a triquini and a biquini is the fabric that connects the top and bottom in the triquini. Thank you for that explanation.

7. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    :thumbsup: ;) Got it! Thanks scotu!