1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Archer's Loose

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Litmanen, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Litmanen New Member

Italiano
    Hi all!

I'm reading a paper about funerary practice in Ancient Sudan. The paper deals about grave goods.

I don't know how to translate the phrase "Archer's looses".

The archer's looses are part of the grave furniture 'cause ancient Nubian peoples were excellent archers.

"The weapons, such as iron arrowheads, stone archer looses and iron spearheads were generally concentrated near the
    head of the deceased."

I think the author is wrong telling "weapons", maybe it was better "warrior equipment".

My supposed translation is:

"L'armamentario come le punte di freccia in ferro, gli anelli in pietra d'arciere e le punte di lancia in ferro sono generalmente concentrate attorno alla testa del defunto."

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Hi, and welcome.
    Interesting phrase.
    Based on THIS, it looks like it means "practice" or shooting without an arrow.

Can you give us some full sentences?

3. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    E' fondamentale che tu scriva:
    - la frase originale intera
    - la tua traduzione
    e ci dia qualche informazione a proposito del contesto, grazie

Cosa significa "aggiungere il contesto"?
    Come e in che forum creare - modificare - impostare correttamente una discussione

4. Litmanen New Member

Italiano
    Thank you but I don't think so. It is surely an object. A sort of thumb's ring!

We are talking about funerary practice in Ancient Sudan. The paper deals about grave goods. The archer's looses are part of the grave furniture 'cause ancient Nubian peoples were excellent archers.

"The weapons, such as iron arrowheads, stone archer looses and iron spearheads were generally concentrated near the
    head of the deceased."

I think the author is wrong telling "weapons", maybe it was better "warrior equipment".

My supposed translation is:

"L'armamentario come le punte di freccia in ferro, gli anelli in pietra d'arciere e le punte di lancia in ferro sono generalmente concentrate attorno alla testa del defunto."

Hope this helps.

5. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Ok I found the original text, and found that a "loose" is a device used to protect the thumb during drawing of a bow.
    Now the only question is how to translate it....

6. Litmanen New Member

Italiano

Maybe "anelli da arciere". But it's quite strange cause, elsewhere in the same paper, he speaks also about archer's ring as if they are two different things. Maybe he uses alternatively the two terms giving them the same significance (it's and old typewrited paper, with lots of typographical mistakes).

7. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    HERE is a page in Italian where they talk about an "anello" protecting the thumb.

I googled with

"tiro con l'arco" "protezione del pollice"

8. Litmanen New Member

Italiano
    I already knew the use of an archer ring, but thank you so much anyway!