Are Indonesian and Tagalog closer than what we know right now?

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by Waterdash, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Waterdash Senior Member

English (US)
    These two languages both fall under the Austronesian > Malayo-Polynesian language groups, yet there are many sub groups which separate these languages apart. Yet, I have a friend who speaks fluent Tagalog who was talking to this Indonesian waiter, and they were both speaking their own, respective languages. The strange part is that they could understand each other word for word and communicate as if they are speaking the same language. Is there an even more direct connection than just both being Malayo-Polynesian languages?
  2. Nikola Senior Member

They are closely related but not completely intelligible, although there are a lot of cognates and some degree of mutual intelligibility exists.. Malay and Indonesian and Filipino/Tagalog are official languages but in the three countries there are other related languages, sometimes they are even closer, but not always. See this.
  3. vince Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm if that is true then they are likely more close than English and German.

Does anyone have some evidence to back this up?
  4. Hulalessar Senior Member

English - England
    It depends what you mean by "close". Two languages can be "close" but not necessarily immediately mutually intelligible when spoken. I speak Spanish quite well and if I look at a page of Portuguese can understand quite a lot of it, but can hardly make head or tail of it when I hear it. I am sure that if I spent some time in Portugal I would begin to catch on fairly quickly.

Once one starts to ask questions about how easily a speaker of language A can understand language B one can receive conflicting information. One person will say he has no problem, while another will say he has difficulty. I think this is explained by factors such as a person's abilty to catch on and the degree to which the speaker of language A has been exposed to language B. Also, the degree to which a speaker of language A communicating with a speaker of language B understand each other may depend upon accommodations being made by either or both.

So, in the case of Waterdash's friend and the waiter it may be that:

1. Both have a keen ear; and/ or,

2. The waiter spent some time in the Philippines and/or has some Philippino friends; and/ or,

3. The friend has spent some time in Indonesia; and/or,

4 (a) Indonesian and Tagalog have some degree of mutual intelligibilty and one or the other or both are making concessions; or,

4 (b) Indonesian and Tagalog are mutually intelligible to a high degree.

The only way for anyone to get a satisfactory answer to the question is to learn both Indonesian and Tagalog and form their own opinion.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  5. Nikola Senior Member

I agree with these comments, but as I said there is not a high degree of mutual intelligibility if both speakers have no exposure to each others language, some speakers will recognize words (high) phrases( low) and some will not understand anything. Malay and Indonesian are much closer though, and it can be argued that they are the same language but have evolved differently in the last century.
  6. dhan

dhan New Member

Old thread... I know, but no native Indonesian nor Tagalog confirm this so far.

I'm native Indonesian, and I can say that I don't understand anything when the Philippines are speaking in Tagalog.
    But yes, there are very few words that have the same meaning both in Indonesian and Tagalog.
  7. pareanom New Member

English - USA
    I'm a semi-native speaker of Tagalog, and I've learned Indonesian to a certain level of proficiency. It's a mystery to me how this Tagalog speaker and this Indonesian waiter could have understood each other "word for word."

Tagalog and Malay-Indonesian are related, but they're not any closer to each other than English is to Russian, I think. That being said, they share many cognates (often in a nearly identical form) either from their common proto-language or as loanwords from Malay into Tagalog. Perhaps these individuals just happened to be comparing cognates.

Here is how "I buy [hulled] rice" sounds in the two languages:

Malay-Indonesian: "Aku beli beras"
    Tagalog: "Bumibili ako ng bigas" ["ng," pronounced "nang"]
  8. artion Senior Member

Possibly your tagalog-speaking friend (like most philippinos) understands at least one more local language or dialect. If this second language is from an area geographically and lingually close to Indonesia (e.g. Visayas or Mindanao) he is likely to understand more indonesian than a philippino from, say, north Luzon.
    I believe that a philippino who would speak just pure Visaya could not communicate with a phil. who would speak only Ipanang of Ifugao of Luzon.
  9. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

there are more than 2000 tagalog words in bahasa Indones and bahasa malaya,they are related but hard to understand. The pilipinos in mindanaw can speak bahasa because they use to visit borneo and malay peninsula.but pilipinos in Luzon and bisaya seldom or do not visit the southern part of mindanaw.
  10. swag123 New Member

Malaysian is the original indonesian because indonesian is mixed with dutch. But my island is pretty close to the Philippines because it's in north celebes islands and my father asked me how to count in tagalog and counted for him and he told me that the tagalog numbers are similar to the old way the people on my island use to speak.

P.S. I know hot to count in tagalog because I live in Daly city CA which is called "Little Manila"
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  11. swag123 New Member

Mindanao sounds like where I come from which is manado
  12. drowssap New Member

Hi, native speaker of Malay here. I'm confident what I'm saying will settle the debate :)

Malay/Indonesian are the same language with different national registers. One could say the linguistic relationship is similar to British English and American English, but I believe the relationship between Malay/Indonesian is more similar to that between Serbian and Croatian, which are standard variants of the same language (Serbo-Croatian). There are many different words or word formations - greater than that between British and American English - but a Malaysian can understand about 90% of what an Indonesian is saying.

On the other hand, the relationship between Malay/Indonesian and Tagalog is definitely comparable to that between English and German. An unitiated Malaysian would not understand a Tagalog paragraph in a school textbook. We share only very basic vocabulary with Tagalog eg lima "five", langit "sky", mata "eye", angin "wind" (the Filipinos say "hangin"), telur "egg" ("itlog"), nyiur "coconut" ("niyog"). Just the words I can remember.

Hope this helps!
  13. CitizenEmpty Senior Member

English & Korean
    I know many Tagalog-speaking Filipinos before. Most of them said that they couldn't understand Malay or Javanese. And those Tagalog speakers who understand one of two languages have experienced living in Malaysia.