1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

are positive about/ hold positive opinion about

Discussion in 'English Only' started by popup, May 3, 2013.

1. popup Senior Member

Chinese
    If the customers are satisfied with a service that a business provides, can I express it in the following way? Do the 2 sentences below have the same meaning?

1. The customers are positive about the service.
    2. The customers hold positive opinion about the service.

If my expression is incorrect, how should I say that the customers are satisfied with a service?

Thank you a lot for your instruction in advance!

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I think your second sentence would be OK if you replaced "opinion" with "opinions": The customers hold positive opinions about the service.

"Hold positive opinions" is understandable, but "have favorable opinions" sounds a little more natural to me: The customers have favorable opinions about the service.

3. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    You could also say that the customers "are pleased with the service".

4. popup Senior Member

Chinese
    Owlman and Parla,

Thank you for your timely instructions to me! I think now I learn from you some better and more idiomatic expressions, which will be much useful!

If a survey was conducted in the past to collect the feedback of the customers on what they thought of a service that a business offered them, should I use a past tense or a present tense for the following sentence?

The fact that 90% people responded GOOD in the survey means that the majority of the customers had favorable opinions about (were pleased with) the service.

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Your choices of tenses in the sentence are all correct. :)

6. popup Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi Parla,

Thank you a lot for your great help to me!

BTW, is it already mid-night in your time (NY Time)?! I'm so impressed by your strong passion to help our non-native speakers! Please have a good sleep and enjoy the weekend! :)