1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Are things not working out at your house in Scarborough?

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by baosheng, Nov 22, 2012.

1. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Hello/大家好,

I'm living in a rooming house [House A] right now and have a former Chinese housemate (who used to live in House A) who came to 看房 [House A] with the possibility of moving back in a few months. I was surprised that she was going to do this since she had already moved out to a different part of town [House B] because she didn't like the house [House A] (it's a bit old..).

I wanted to ask her: "Are things not working out at your house in Scarborough?" [House B, which she is renting a room in] (for example, this could be because of her roommate situation, the house situation, tenant-landlord relationship, etc)
    and said: "在Scarborough不行吗" (since I didn't know how to say this in Chinese), but I think "不行" is a bit different, right? (I think by saying that, it may sound like I wanted her to live in Scarborough instead of living here/or that I am suggesting that she stay there, which is not the case in the English sentence)

Would anyone know how to translate "not working out" in this context? (it may be hard to translate as it is a pretty vague question.. )
    Thanks in advance/谢谢!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Cantonese (Hong Kong)
    Hi! Perhaps you can say "Scarborough不好住嗎?(為什麼想要搬回來?)"

On the other hand, "在Scarborough不行嗎" may occur in a dialogue like:
    -我搬回這裡才能專心讀書
    -在Scarborough不行嗎?
    -那裡太吵了,不行

3. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

As Ghabi says, "Scarborough不好住吗?" Or I'd say "在Scarborough住得不好吗?"

If she just moved out couple of months ago and wants to move back soon, I think you can ask "在Scarborough那边住的不习惯吗?", like:
    这么快就要搬回来了,是Scarborough那边住的不习惯吗?是不是那边太偏了,交通不方便?Then she may tell you what happened.

4. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Thank you, Ghabi and Lucia, for your translations! They are perfect.

Literally, it means "Scarborough is not a good place to live in"?

"在Scarborough那边住的不习惯吗"
    --> You're not used to living in Scarborough?

Both of these structures are extremely common in my experience (but use a different "logic"/"wording" than I would usually use in English in this situation)--something I will have to get used to when translating. 谢谢!