are you ok? vs. what's wrong with you?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by scorpio1984, Dec 8, 2010.

1. scorpio1984 Senior Member

catalan and spanish

I would like to know if these two expressions have exactly the same meaning and, therefore, if they are used in the same kind of situations. Many thanks!!
  2. bondia

bondia Senior Member

Illes Balears
    "¿Estas/te encuentras bien?"
    "¿Qué te pasa?/¿Te pasa algo?/¿Qué es lo que te pasa?"
    Entiendo que la diferencia en inglés viene a ser la misma que en español.
  3. Tunalagatta Senior Member

English - England
    "What's wrong with you?" is used when the speaker is certain that you are unwell or acting in an unusual way, and wants to know the precise cause. It can also be used to express frustration at unreasonable behaviour. "What's wrong with you? Why won't you do what I tell you?"

"Are you ok?" is less specific and can be used as a general enquiry into someone's well-being, or to check that there somebody isn't experiencing problems, difficulties, injuries, and so on.
  4. scorpio1984 Senior Member

catalan and spanish
    Ok, good! thank you both!!
  5. SurveyTranslator

SurveyTranslator Senior Member

United States

By the way, just to add my 2 cents to the mix, the question "What's wrong with you" in AE would be offensive and taken as argumentative and a harsh criticism. I don't know if the Brits take it the same way, but in the US, you are basically starting a fight if you ask someone that question, or risking being perceived as immature and rude. It's akin to asking someone in Spanish ¿Qué c*** te pasa? It doesn't use curse words, but the meaning is that the person you are addressing is somehow acting overly weird, rude, hostile, etc. Obviously, it's not a question to use in the work place or with people you don't know very well.

Hope that helps.
  6. scorpio1984 Senior Member

catalan and spanish
    Yeah, I see... but if you don't say the "with you" the meaning would be different, right? I saw people in some films who say "what's wrong?" when somebody is crying
  7. sandpiperlily

sandpiperlily Senior Member

Exactly. "What's wrong with you" is usually an insult, whereas "what's wrong" is a perfectly polite way to ask... well... what is wrong! :)
  8. scorpio1984 Senior Member

catalan and spanish
    Ok, and, in this case, instead of "what's wrong?" could I say "are you ok?" ? are they interchangeable?
  9. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    Just delete "with you" and then reread the answers of bondia and tunalaggata.
  10. Athelis Member

English, USA
    Si', son intercambiables. "What's wrong?" tiene el sentido de "Are you ok?". "What's wrong with you?" es ma's parecida a "Que loco eres."