1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Are your ears burning?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by deadbox, Oct 16, 2009.

1. deadbox Junior Member

China
    Chinese
    I think it means :
    when some people discussed somethings about you but you were not there.You heard the news or you had a strange feeling,so you felt upset.

Am I right?Hoping some english native-speakers can help me.
    Many thanks in advance for your help.:)

2. Ann O'Rack Senior Member

UK
    UK English
    It is said that your ears get hot when someone's talking about you, so if you are told that someone has been talking about you, you might say "I wondered why my ears were burning" or "I thought so, my ears were burning". It doesn't necessarily imply any other emotion or upset, just that you knew someone was talking about you.

3. deadbox Junior Member

China
    Chinese
    Thanks for your reply.
    So I think the idiom is a kind of humour? Am I right?

4. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    It does, for many people, have a connotation with bad news or negative commentary.

There are also variants where your left ear burning means someone is saying something nice and if your right is burning they're saying something nasty.

Burning ears can also be a symtom of embarrassment, high blood pressure or an inflamed cochlea.

5. Ann O'Rack Senior Member

UK
    UK English
    More a symptom of otitis externa...

I didn't realise there was supposed to be a connotation of bad news - I've often asked people I've been talking about positively if their ears were burning, because people were praising them.

6. deadbox Junior Member

China
    Chinese
    Thanks all!