1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Arrête de te foutre de ma gueule

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by noir-keller, Nov 27, 2010.

1. noir-keller New Member

USA
    English - USA/UK
    I'm translating a fanfiction from French to English, and at one point one character says to the other "Arrête de te foutre de ma gueule", and...I'm having a bit of difficulty as to what this would be in English. I know "va te faire foutre" is like "f**k you / go f**k yourself", but the "ma gueule" part really confuses me. Is he telling him "stop f-ing with his mouth" ?

(the only reason I think the "f-ing with my mouth" would even be slightly correct is because up until this point the other guy has forcibly kissed him about 2 or 3 times, so :/ )

Any help would be appreciated !

2. Guill Senior Member

Français - France
    It has absolutely no link with it actually.
    It's a very vulgar way to say "stop making fun of me", "stop liing (spelling ?) while I know you do".

3. Clarem Senior Member

Vienne
    French
    = are you kidding me ?

4. Mag88 Junior Member

USA
    French
    Hello,
    I don't know what "f-ing with my mouth" means, but I would translate "Arrête de te foutre de ma gueule" by "don't fuck with me" ou "stop fucking with me" but I don't know if this is correct. Anyway I think you understand the idea

5. Guill Senior Member

Français - France
    Stop kidding me rather of asking the question ;)

6. noir-keller New Member

USA
    English - USA/UK
    Ah thankyou! That makes more sense now XD

7. Eigenfunction Senior Member

England - English
    "Stop taking the piss!" (…out of me) might convey the meaning and tone quite well I think. (In British English, anyway. I can't remember whether taking the piss is one of those phrases that means something different or doesn't make sense in AmE)

8. Clarem Senior Member

Vienne
    French
    Mais non parce que ce genre d'expressions à l'interrogatif en anglais se traduit plus probablement par l'affirmatif en français (j'ai essayé de rester 'correcte' mais il y a des traductions plus... gratinées).
    http://fr.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070214035945AAx1wBi

9. Guill Senior Member

Français - France
    Eh bien en français on dit aussi "Tu te fous de la gueule ?", qui serait traduit (moins vulgairement) par "Are you kidding me ?", d'où l'objet de ma remarque.

10. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Gueule here doesn't mean mouth, but rather face (as in for instance quelle sale gueule ! = what an ugly mug.) In fact it's taken as a metaphor for the entire person, as when we say "I don't want to see your face again".

I'd translate it as "Stop fucking me about" or less crudely "Stop messing me about", "Stop winding me up", "Stop taking the piss".

11. Guill Senior Member

Français - France
    I thought "Stop taking the piss" meant "Ne le prends pas mal" ?

12. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    To take the piss/Mickey out of someone = se moquer de quelqu'un.

Are you getting confused with "to be pissed off" = en avoir marre ?

13. Guill Senior Member

Français - France
    Definitely not, but a friend of mine often says "He took the piss" ==> Finally he was pissed off. So I did understand in French "Il l'a mal pris", "Il n'a pas apprécié", while it wasn't wanted. That's the way I understood it but maybe I was wrong...

14. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    "Arrête de te foutre de ma gueule" can actually mean two slightly different things :

1° stop taking the piss out of me ! (se foutre de qq = slang for "se moquer de qq")
    2° cut the crap ! don't give me that bullshit ! (se foutre de qq = slang for "prendre qq pour un idiot")

15. Jofre

Jofre Senior Member

Deutsch
    Good evening,

You can say too "stop making a fool out of me". Am I right?

Thank you everyone.

16. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Yes, you can say that, and "stop taking me for a fool" too, but these are both polite expressions you could say to your grandmother, so they are a different register from the French expression, which is pretty vulgar.

17. titiminet5122

titiminet5122 Senior Member

France
    français
    Or else : " Stop cheating on me " ! :)

18. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Euh, si je ne m'abuse, cela veut dire "Arrête de me tromper (/ m'être infidèle)".
    Donc, non, je ne pense pas que cela traduise "arrête de te foutre de ma gueule".