arrive late for [technological advances]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Li'l Bull, May 4, 2013.

1. Li'l Bull

Li'l Bull Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    Hi, native speakers of English!

I'd like to express the idea that I'm always a step behind the latest technological advances, that is to say, I'm the kind of person that bought a videotape recorder when the DVD had already been invented and even introduced into the market. I guess "a step behind technology" would do, but I was thinking of a sentence with "to arrive", like the following:

"I always arrive late for the latest technological advances. For example, people use whatsapp while I'm still using SMS."

Does this sentence with "arrive" sound OK?

Thank you in advance.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    We say that someone always arrives late to the party, but a party has a physical location. Or always arrives late for dinner, but dinner is a specific event. Your sentence will be understood, but I wouldn't use the expression myself.

3. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    The best term for this concept is that you are a late adopter of technology. Most people will understand this, especially if they have business experience.

You'll sometimes hear people like this called luddites, after a 19th-century movement that opposed machinery and tried to destroy it because it took jobs away from working people. Today, it's usually meant humorously. I suspect you aren't really against modern technology, you don't want to destroy it, you just don't feel you need to have the latest gadgets.

You could also say "I'm always a generation behind," if the people you're talking with know that the context is technology.

4. Li'l Bull

Li'l Bull Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    Thank you, Copyright. I see. I'll forget about the sentence with "arrive", then.

Thank you too, Egmont. Yeah, I'm not really a "luddite", it's just like you say - I don't feel I need to have the latest gadgets (I couldn't have said it better myself :)). I like your suggestion, i.e. "I'm always a generation behind technological advances."