Art is anything you can get away with

Discussion dans 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' créé par salsagirl2005, 25 Février 2005.

1. salsagirl2005 New Member

FRANCE - FRENCH
    Art is anything you can get away with

2. salsagirl2005 New Member

FRANCE - FRENCH
    Quelqu'un pourrai il me traudire cette phrase svp:
    Art si someting you can get away with

3. RODGER

RODGER Senior Member

France
    UK ENGLISH
    Something like" L'art c'est ce qu'on peut faire passer/faire avaler aux gens" just to start off others will no doubt find better

cheers

Rodger

4. Laurinou

Laurinou Junior Member

Brighton&Hove, UK
    France, French, English, Italian
    Hello All,

I would translate this expression with the idea of 'escape from reality' and say: "L'art est la seule chose grace a laquelle on peut s'echapper (mentalement, s'entend), mais peut-etre que je me trompe sur la signification... ?

@+,
    Laure

5. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    For a moment I thought the text might be ambiguous, but "to get away" and "to get away with" do not mean the same thing.
    So I won't write "L'art est la seule évasion possible", but what am I going to write?
    À suivre
    :)

6. Nico5992 Senior Member

Paris, France
    France (French)
    Or maybe: "l'art est un moyen de s'en sortir"

7. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    "L'art, c'est l'impunité totale" and don't ask me to justify that translation: it is artistic...

8. salsagirl2005 New Member

FRANCE - FRENCH
    Merci! Thanks a lot!

9. RODGER

RODGER Senior Member

France
    UK ENGLISH
    It seems to me that we have to look at the cynicism of the original text. "What you can get away with. " Literally "get away" like a bank robber. So, "s'en sortir" perhaps, but also the notion of deception, a conjuring trick, how to fool someone. I think the original quote arose in the seventies around the pop art movement and Andy Warhol. It's very New York chic. Help us out Eddie, if you are there !

:cool: Rodger

10. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    You are right again. ;)

Opening The Gates of contrariness Feb 10, 2005
    "Andy Warhol once remarked that 'Art is what you can get away with.' Christo shows how right he was.". A few regular users of the park this week voiced similar sentiments.

Partager cette page