1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

as a result 'they' are [refers to?]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by High on grammar, Jan 14, 2013.

1. High on grammar Senior Member

Farsi
    [FONT=&amp]Hello everyone:[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I came across this question in a TOFEL book:[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]What does “they” refer to?[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“Most chromium compounds have brightly colored hues, as a result they are widely used as coloring agents, or pigments, in paints”.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Here is what I think.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The brightly colored hues that are widely used as coloring agents are part of chromium compounds; they don’t exist in separation from them. Therefore; it would be illogical for “they” to refer to "hues". I think “Chromium compounds” is what “they” seems to refer to.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Am I right?[/FONT]

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Hello High on grammar. :)

Yes.

I suspect that there is a word missing or missing punctuation here: [FONT=&amp]colored hues <> as a result[/FONT]. Did you miss it when you copied it, or is it an error in the book?

3. High on grammar Senior Member

Farsi
    Sorry, here is the corrected version of that sentence:

[FONT=&amp]Most chromium compounds have brightly colored hues[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]and as a result they are widely used as coloring agents, or pigments, in paints.[/FONT]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. JamesMag Junior Member

Paris
    British English
    They refers to the chromium compounds. If they were talking about the colored hues, then it would be Most chromium compounds have brightly colored hues,which are widely used...

5. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    In addition, 'colours' can themselves be paints or dyes, but 'hue' only has the abstract meaning of 'colour', so hues aren't things that can be used as part of other products.

6. High on grammar Senior Member

Farsi
    Thanks