1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. hwarren Junior Member

Ontario, Canada
    English - Canada
    Hello all! I'm having troubles translating this sentence : "He wants to have as big a house".
    I'm not 100% clear on the meaning of "as big a house". It's not part of an entire text, it's just a lone sentence to translate for a course, so I don't really have any more context. My guess is it means that he wants a house as big as that of an unmentioned person?
    "Il veut avoir une maison grande aussi"? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Martyn94 Senior Member

English
    It would normally have some words following this: "he wants to have as big a house as......." If there are more words, can we have them please? If those words are really all there is, it makes no sense to me.

3. hwarren Junior Member

Ontario, Canada
    English - Canada
    Yeah, that's the whole sentence! It doesn't make sense to me either.

4. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    In isolation I assume it means a house that is equally big. In your sentence the placement of aussi gives He wants a big house, too. If you move aussi, on the other hand, it means what you intended: Il veut avoir une maison aussi grande. I'm tempted to add tout, which here would give "just" as big: Il veut avoir une maison tout aussi grande.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  5. Martyn94 Senior Member

English
    Now you say it, I agree. But it is very hard and ugly phrase to use for a test: what the US Constitution calls "cruel and unusual punishment".

6. Mauricet Senior Member

near Grenoble
    French - France