1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

as I'm sure you're aware

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Anglo-Greek, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Anglo-Greek Senior Member

London, UK
    English
    In English there's the common expression "as I'm sure you're aware" (or "as I'm sure you know"), used before telling someone something that they may or may not already know. I guess it's main function is one of politeness, making it clear that you don't want to insult the listener's intelligence or suggest that they're ignorant.
    The context that I wish to use it in is, in a presentation, "As I'm sure you're aware, Berlin was divided among the Allies after the Second World War."
    In German I would render this "Wie ich bin sicher, dass Sie schon wissen, Berlin wurde nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg von den Alliierten getrennt." However, I've never heard anyone say that in German, and it just sounds a bit over-wordy and clumsy to me, so I was wondering if there's a more idiomatic way to express the same idea?

Thanks in advance

2. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    The power of German particles: you say wie sie wohl wissen,... and wohl tells them "I'm sure you know".

3. Anglo-Greek Senior Member

London, UK
    English
    Thanks for your help!

4. ablativ Senior Member

German(y)
    I'd prefer to say: Wie Ihnen sicherlich (zweifellos) bekannt ist, wurde Berlin ...

5. Anglo-Greek Senior Member

London, UK
    English
    What's the semantic/stylistic difference between saying that and "wie Sie wohl wissen"?

6. ablativ Senior Member

German(y)
    "Wie Sie wohl wissen" can be used in the above mentioned context. But it is often being used in an ironic, sarcastic way.

Besides, I just like "wie Ihnen sicherlich bekannt ist, ..." better than "wie Sie wohl wissen" - that's why "I'd prefer" it. :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013