As, like - When should I use as, when like?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by crrdm, Sep 25, 2005.

1. crrdm Junior Member

Mexico, Spanish
    I'd like to ask if anyone remembers an old thread where as and like are explained. I'm sometimes confused about when to use each of them.
    Thank you for your help.
  2. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    crrdm: I don't remember the thread, nor could I find any thread that seemed to me to be really helpful.
    If you use the forum search, you might find the thread you remember:)

The as/like question may take many pages of explanation and it is often possible to use either without changing meaning.

On the other hand, in some sentences the meaning changes depending on which is used.

I am going to talk to you now as your father.... (in my role as your father);
    I am going to talk to you now like your father.... (in the same way as your father).

If you could let us have some examples to illustrate the aspects of as/like that you find confusing it would might help to keep the conversation relevant.:D
  3. Derringer Junior Member

USA, English, Portuguese, German, Latin
    Like (when used to mean "similar to") is a preposition. As (when used to mean "in the same manner") is a conjunction. Prepositions govern nouns, pronouns, and words used as nouns. Conjunctions join clauses.

So, "Like Pan, I'm an orangatan."
    But, "Pan behaves as a good orangatan should behave." ;)

Basically, if a subject and verb are to follow, use "as." If a single word follows, use "like."

Of course, in common speech, people use these words interchangeably.
  4. Rayines Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Yes, here you have one, with another link included in it:

such as, like,as (how)?
  5. Diosella

Diosella Senior Member

Estados Unidos
    Spanish Castellano

Your explanation is ...... BRILLIANT!!!
    Thank you very much!

desde Argentina
  6. Derringer Junior Member