as of now

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Universalia, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Universalia

Universalia Junior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    "As of now" meaning

I always get confused with the usage of this phrase. Does it mean "from now on" or "until now"? People seem to confuse those all the time.

Thanks in advance?
  2. maxiogee Banned

It means "from now on".

No-running in the corridor - as of now!
  3. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    You haven't given context or a sample sentence, so the previous post, which offers one valid meaning, may or may not apply.

The phrase also means "at this time/as of this moment".
  4. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    as of now = henceforth, from this time onward
  5. judkinsc

judkinsc Senior Member

English, USA
    Depending on whether it's at the beginning or end of the phrase, it means one of the responses posted above.

At the end of a sentence, it means "henceforth ; from now on."
    At the beginning of a sentence, it means "at this time ; at the moment."
  6. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Hmmm... "As of now, you are no longer employed here."
  7. AMB49062

AMB49062 Banned

United States
    United States, English
    "As of now" means like you were doing something, but as of now, you quit, and go do something else. It's like going from the present, to the past, and into the present. Make sense? If not PM me.

<<Mod note: Discussion of the thread topic should take place on the thread, if possible.>>
  8. judkinsc

judkinsc Senior Member

English, USA
    = "I'm firing you right now", "I just fired you."

My rule still works I think, since the "as" gives it a progessive sense.
  9. susanna76 Senior Member

Hi, I'm wondering about this original post. I've seen "as of now" used to mean "until now," and yet none of you who posted in this thread mentioned it. What about, "As of now, we have no evidence suggesting XY may be the murderer"?

10. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hi susanna

I'd say the "as of now" in your sentence has the "at the moment" meaning.

Which could, of course, imply "until now".
  11. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    That is an assessment of our current state of knowledge.
    I'm surprised that "as of now" might mean "from now on". Wouldn't that be "as from now"?
    I suppose that some of the examples state something that happens at that moment but having future implications.
    "As of now, you're fired," clearly has future implications :)
    But "As of now, the water is up to my neck," gives no suggestion that the water will stay at that level.
  12. Woofer Senior Member

English, USA
    On the other hand, "As of now, the water has been completely drained" does give that suggestion.

My two cents would be that "As of now" gives information about the current state of things and implies the current state was recently achieved. Whether that state is likely to continue or whether there is an emphasis on future implications is purely contextual, not syntactic.

And from this side of the pond, I find "As from now" extremely stilted and couldn't imagine using it in any context.
  13. load Junior Member

It´s very difficult to reach a conclusion when people in the forum give their different opinions about a particular language issue and these views do not coincide.

There seems to be different ways of using the "as of now" phrase depending on the country you are in.

So in this case the use of a dictionary could be the best way to clarify this thread.

The trouble is that I haven´t been able to find any clear source of information in dictionaries up to this time.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  14. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Greetings everyone.

If I may put in my own twopenny-worth?

First "as of now" is in any case a loose expression, which in any formal or written context could and should be avoided, partly because of the ambiguities that the discussion has amply illustrated.

Secondly, within a specific context (such as that of a casual conversation or radio/TV interview, for example), the wider substantive circumstances, and the tone of voice, would make clear whether the speaker means "right now [but things may change]" or "immediately [you're fired]", "from now on [you are the President]".

But it is to my way of thinking a lazily imprecise and barely grammatical turn of phrase, which ought to be avoided (for its ugliness) by native speakers, and avoided (for its ambiguity) by others. For both, perfectly satisfactory alternatives are readily available.
  15. load Junior Member

Concerning the position in a sentence of the phrase"as of now", what source of information is your assertion based on?

thank you very much.
  16. stormwreath Senior Member

English - England
    Personally, I disagree with the people saying that 'as of now' changes its meaning depending on where it is in the sentence - though it may be an AE/BE difference. To me, the expression always means "At the precise moment in time that I'm speaking". However, context can give it different implications. It can either mean "The situation is always changing, but I'm describing how it is now, at this particular moment", or it can mean, "I intend this change to be permanent, and the change begins now, at this particular moment."

"No running in the corridor - as of now!" - "No running" is a general rule, and "as of now" means that this rule is in effect immediately, so you must stop running this instant.
    "As of now, you are no longer employed here." - I'm firing you; not tomorrow, not next week, not after four weeks' notice, but this instant.
    "As of now, we have no evidence suggesting XY may be the murderer." - At this moment in time we have no evidence, but we may find some later.
    "As of now, the water is up to my neck." - I'm still okay at the moment, but I hope it doesn't get any deeper.
    "As of now, the water has been completely drained." - the water has been drained away for the moment, but there's no guarantee that it won't start refilling again.

'As of now' is a perfectly colloquial phrase in British English.
  17. denver-price New Member

English - Canadian
    I would tend to agree with the poster who suggested choosing an alternate expression, if possible, because of the fact that various users (including native speakers) seem to have substantially diverse impressions regarding the meaning of the expression. A number of options are available for referring to the present moment, such as _now, at (the) present, currently, at the moment_ among others. "From now on" is a less stilted option than "henceforth" to express the idea "starting from this very moment".
  18. harsh9vardhan New Member

hindi - India

Strongly agree with you...