As of today or To date

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Memar, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Memar Senior Member

Further to our phone conversation this afternoon, I would like to confirm that

1, The remaing balance in XXX account amount as of today or to date.
    2, I can use the money directly to reimburse for the travel expenses incurred in December 2011.

thanks for your time and help!
  2. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    This is not a complete sentence, Memar!
  3. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    1. The remaining (note spelling) balance in XXX account is (monetary figure) as of today.

2. Reimburse whom? You need to specify this.
  4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    I would not use "as of today" and "to date" in the same way; there is a difference in emphasis. I would use "as of today" to describe a condition at a single moment in time:

As of today, my savings account has $57,642.00 in it.

I would use "to date" to describe the cumulative effect of an ongoing process:

To date, our charity has distributed 27,000 meals to the hungry.

The main difference is that "to date" strongly suggests that whatever you are counting, or doing, or have, will change in some way in the near future. That suggestion, if it is found at all with "as of today", is not nearly so strong.
  5. Gram-mal Seizure New Member

Nicely put, GreenWhiteBlue. One might even go further and say that "as of today" implies a kind of finality. I often think that, when someone says "as of today," they're going to be talking about something finishing that will allow for something else to start: e.g., "As of today, this company will stop selling bananas and start selling tangerines" or "As of today, I am going to stop eating so much fast food; It's healthy eating for me from now on."

Also, the term "as of today" is a lot more common than the term "as of to date." Usually, "to date" is not used with "as of."
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. Gram-mal Seizure New Member

[Whoops didn't mean to post this]