1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

As of today

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sal22, Jul 22, 2006.

1. sal22 Junior Member

english, france
    Could anyone suggest a 'cleaner' way to say 'as of today' or 'from now on' for a business report?
    Thanks

2. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Henceforth

3. VictoriaMell New Member

USA-English
    I think "henceforth" would be a good synonym to those phrases.

4. sal22 Junior Member

english, france
    Thanks,
    but can we use this at the begining of a sentance,
    I mean isn't there a feeling of 'result' or 'conclusion' with Henceforth?
    Thanks again

5. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Not that I'm aware of.
    It just means "from this time onwards".

6. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    'Henceforth' is perfectly fine to begin a sentence with.

(Joke intended)

Another option is "In future, ... "

7. DavyBCN Senior Member

Barcelona
    UK - English
    As from today is an alternative to as of today. Common business terms would be "with effect from today" or "with immediate effect".

8. lux_ Senior Member

Actually, I didn't understand the meaning of "as of today". So it's just another way to say "from now on?"

I thought it could be used to say something like "things are changed, as of today (= in these days), nobody respects the elderly anymore".
    Am I totally wrong?

9. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    This is an incorrect use of as of today. It has been this way for years. Maybe it has allways been so....

GF..

You should use "these days" not "as of today" (= in these days).
    "Things have changed, these days/nowadays nobody respects the elderly anymore"

10. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    "Henceforth" works fine, but sounds a bit pretentious in some contexts; "going forward" sounds less pretentious and it what I would ordinarily use.

11. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    As of today, nobody respects the elderly. This means, to me, that presently nobody respects the elderly. It's like a snapshot. Previously the situation may or may not have been different, and in the future, it may or may not be different.

Two examples from a GoogleNews-search for the phrase 'as of today':
    As of today, it has received 4 million views and 32000 comments. Here, the meaning of 'as of' seems to be something like 'up until'.
    I am very encouraged, and as of today even more so. In this case, the meaning seems to be 'specifically'.

Also, according to this link, as of is a preposition with the meaning of on or at: The project was terminated as of January 1.

12. johnydynamic Senior Member

Northern California
    English - US
    "Effective immediately..." can be used if the communication is of an urgent nature, e.g. "Effective immediately, Nude Friday will be replaced by Casual Friday".

Regards,
    Johny Dynamic