As per the requirement/as per requirement

Discussion in 'English Only' started by markshane, Feb 8, 2009.

1. markshane Senior Member

Brazil
    Hi folks,

Could you please tell me which one at the below is correct and usage difference

I have attached my updated resume as per the requirement
    I have attached my updated resume as per requirement

-Mark shane

2. Billopoulos Junior Member

Bearing in mind that you say: 50 km per hour and not 50 km per the hour, I'd go for the latter...

Not a native english speaker though...

3. Flemi13 Junior Member

English - England
    Yes, I agree. I think as per requirement sounds better.

4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There is no reason to use per in this sentence, but if you really want to, I suggest you write "... as per the requirement."

I prefer something like:
    I have attached my updated resume as required.
    As required, I have attached my updated resume.

5. markshane Senior Member

Brazil
    Hi folks,

Thanks..I close this thread.

-Mark shane

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I forgot to point out that per in this sentence does not have the same meaning as per in kilometres per hour.

In 50 kilometres per hour, per means for/in each - it is a statement of a rate or proportion.

In per the requirement, per means according to, as stated, indicated or directed by.

7. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I just wanted to reinforce panj's earlier point - I, too, very much prefer "as required".

8. whynottail Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    If "as required" is preferred to "as per the requirement",
    then, in all probability, "as requested" is preferred to "as per your request", and "as agreed" is preferred to "as per the agreement".

A follow-up question then is- when should "as per" be used?

9. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    "As per" would be better never used, in my opinion.

10. whynottail Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    Thanks for the advice, e2efour.

I used to think "as per" was a short equivalent of "in accordance with" and thus could convey the same meaning in a shorter breath.

If "as per" should better never be used, then is it right to say that "in accordance with" must not be used?

11. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    As per originated in the 19th century in business language. In the 1920s some commentators described it as a term to be avoided. (Source: Merriam-Webster Concise Dictionary of English Usage)

I was careful to add "in my opinion" when I said it should never be used, since I cannot give any objective reasons for not using it, except the fact that it is not used very often in ordinary English. It just sounds pompous in the sentence you gave and others have pointed out that "as requested/required" sounds much better.

There is nothing wrong with "in accordance with", which can sometimes be shortened to "according to".

All I can add is that sometimes people have used it when they want to ridicule the style of some writers (see Merriam-Webster for examples).

12. whynottail Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    Thanks again for your invaluable advice, particlularly on the part that "as per" carries negative overtones. Heartfelt thanks to you, e2efour.