as regards

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Majkel, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Majkel New Member

The problem is that I don't know how to use 'as regards' , actually It was my teacher who pointed it out :p.
    I used it in this way : I don't have any bad grades as regards english. Can anyone explain what is wrong with that sentence ? , thanks
  2. R.O

R.O Banned

The problem with this sentence is that you haven't capitalized the word English. Other than that I don't see what might be wrong. Except, maybe, the sentence would read better if you shifted the as regards English ​part to the front.
  3. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    You should have written: in English. As regards is a word for word translation from Polish, which really cannot be used here. This is the problem. Otherwise, in a relevant context: As regards English -- I don't have any bad grades.
  4. trampymouse Junior Member

Are you trying to say your English grades aren't bad? As a native English speaker, I think it's better to say "I don't have any bad grades in regards to English". I can't think of an example where you would use 'as regards' would be used.
    Hope that helps!
  5. BezierCurve Senior Member

I guess it might be an American thing. See there.
  6. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Your teacher was right (which is sadly rather uncommon for Polish teachers of English) -- 'as regards' sticks out like a sore thumb here.
    If you want to be overly formal, go for Trampy's 'in regards to', if you want to sound natural, go with Liliana's 'grades in English' :)