1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

as regards

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Majkel, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Majkel New Member

Polski
    The problem is that I don't know how to use 'as regards' , actually It was my teacher who pointed it out :p.
    I used it in this way : I don't have any bad grades as regards english. Can anyone explain what is wrong with that sentence ? , thanks

2. R.O

R.O Senior Member

Polish
    The problem with this sentence is that you haven't capitalized the word English. Other than that I don't see what might be wrong. Except, maybe, the sentence would read better if you shifted the as regards English ​part to the front.

3. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    You should have written: in English. As regards is a word for word translation from Polish, which really cannot be used here. This is the problem. Otherwise, in a relevant context: As regards English -- I don't have any bad grades.

4. trampymouse Junior Member

England
    English-England
    Are you trying to say your English grades aren't bad? As a native English speaker, I think it's better to say "I don't have any bad grades in regards to English". I can't think of an example where you would use 'as regards' would be used.
    Hope that helps!

5. BezierCurve Senior Member

I guess it might be an American thing. See there.

6. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Your teacher was right (which is sadly rather uncommon for Polish teachers of English) -- 'as regards' sticks out like a sore thumb here.
    If you want to be overly formal, go for Trampy's 'in regards to', if you want to sound natural, go with Liliana's 'grades in English' :)