1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

as they 'got' along

Discussion in 'English Only' started by volver, Jun 21, 2013.

1. volver Senior Member

french belgium
    Hello,

If I say that at the beginning of the English lesson, students were hesitating but as they got along you could see that they felt more comfortable.

I don't think got along fits in here. If not, could you help me to find the correct word?

Thank you.

VOLVER

2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Could you tell us a bit more about what you want to say, volver?

Do you want to say "as they got to know each other better" - or something else?

3. thundershark New Member

English
    The sentence alone is correct, but I am not sure as it depends on the context.

4. volver Senior Member

french belgium
    I meant that gradually the students felt at ease. I don't know if I should choose as they got along or gradually?

Thank you.

VOLVER

5. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    In that case I would say "as they went along", or "as time progressed". Your instinct that "as they got along" does not fit well is right, it carries more of a sense of being (or becoming) amicable.

6. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    You are misunderstanding the meaning of the verb.

The verb "to get along [with someone]" means to have a pleasant/reasonable/friendly relationship with them.

Example
    Do you like your in-laws?
    They're okay. We aren't exactly best friends but we get along [with each other].

I suggest:
    ...but as time passed you could see that they felt more comfortable.
    or indeed
    ...but as time passed, you could see that they were starting to get along [with one another]. !!!