as they 'got' along

Discussion in 'English Only' started by volver, Jun 21, 2013.

1. volver Senior Member

french belgium

If I say that at the beginning of the English lesson, students were hesitating but as they got along you could see that they felt more comfortable.

I don't think got along fits in here. If not, could you help me to find the correct word?

Thank you.

2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Could you tell us a bit more about what you want to say, volver?

Do you want to say "as they got to know each other better" - or something else?
  3. thundershark New Member

The sentence alone is correct, but I am not sure as it depends on the context.
  4. volver Senior Member

french belgium
    I meant that gradually the students felt at ease. I don't know if I should choose as they got along or gradually?

Thank you.

5. Edinburgher Senior Member

German/English bilingual
    In that case I would say "as they went along", or "as time progressed". Your instinct that "as they got along" does not fit well is right, it carries more of a sense of being (or becoming) amicable.
  6. Biffo Senior Member

English - England
    You are misunderstanding the meaning of the verb.

The verb "to get along [with someone]" means to have a pleasant/reasonable/friendly relationship with them.

Do you like your in-laws?
    They're okay. We aren't exactly best friends but we get along [with each other].

I suggest:
    ...but as time passed you could see that they felt more comfortable.
    or indeed
    ...but as time passed, you could see that they were starting to get along [with one another]. !!!