as to whether

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by chiri, Aug 23, 2005.

1. chiri Senior Member

Spain-Spanish
    Please this sentence is horrible, I can´t translate it

"Where there is a dispute as to whether a partnership exists the point must be decided in order to know"

I would have written: "where there is a dispute about if a partnership..." would it be wrong?

Please correct me if I make any mistakes

2. clipper Senior Member

Madrid
    England´s english
    Chiri, This is a good illustration of the correct use of the word "whether". The key to this word is that it needs to be able to be followed by the frase "or not".

E.g. there is a dispute as to whether a partnership exists (or not).

Your example (there is a dispute about if a partnership exists) sound "untidy" because the "dispute about" frase would be better used where the possible outcomes are more than two.

E.g. there is a dispute about what colour the sign should be (the sign could be one of many colours)

BUT, there is a dispute as to whether the sign should be red or not (the sign is either red or it isn´t, in the same way that the partnership exists or it doesn´t.

Hope this helps a bit (more grammatical than legal I think).

3. chiri Senior Member

Spain-Spanish
    Yes more grammatical than legal, but thanks, it helps me a lot.

4. freddy mercury lives Junior Member

mexican spanish
    no logro ubicar las dos palabras WHETHER en el siguiente contexto, espero su ayuda gracias.
    However, in the event of any dispute between the Seller and
    yourself in relation to whether the Seller has failed to fulfill
    or perform any of the terms and obligations of the Contract, and
    consequently whether you shall have the right to enforce this
    Performance Bond against us (a "Dispute"

5. Tochka Senior Member

I don't know whether ;) I fully understand or agree with the analysis in the 2005 post by "clipper", and so will not try to address that analysis with regards to your example.
    Still, if the question is one of understanding this sort of use of "whether", then it may be useful to view it in this way:
    As used above, "whether" = "the question of whether or not" [or you might say, "the question of 'is it true or not that'..."]
    Thus: "in the event of any dispute between the Seller and yourself in relation to whether the Seller has failed to fulfill or perform" can be broken down as:
    "in the event of any dispute between the Seller and yourself..." = if it happens that there is a dispute between the Seller and yourself
    "...in relation to whether the Seller has failed to fulfill or perform..." = with regard to the question of whether or not the Seller has failed to fulfill or perform...
    And: "...and consequently whether you shall have the right to enforce this Performance Bond against us..." = and consequently [also with regard to] the question of whether or not you shall have the right to enforce this Performance Bond against us....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  6. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    AS TO WHETHER is the same as "Whether." It's more conversational. In writing, I would just use "whether"

7. Hulalessar Senior Member

Andalucía
    English - England
  8. freddy mercury lives Junior Member

mexican spanish
    Señor Tochka, muchas gracias!

9. Tochka Senior Member

De nada! Glad it helped! (Pero no soy señor. Estoy abogada, no abogado. ;) )