As well as could be

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Jason., Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jason.

Jason. Junior Member

Costa Rica
    Español
    A friend of mine sent me a text that said "maybe she didn't know you were going, as well as could be that she hasn't seen your mail." I told him that to me "as well as" didn't sound grammatically correct in that phrase but when he asked me why I didn't know how to answer, and that's why I'm here. I'm still not sure whether that's correct, it just doesn't sound right to me so, is it?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. Gabriel

Gabriel Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / Español
    Rather than not being gramatically correct (I do think it's correct), I find it semantically odd:

"Tal vez ella no sabía que tú irías, como así también podría ser que no haya visto to mail"
    Suena raro porque "que no haya visto tu mail" podría ser la causa para que "no supiera que irías". Pero gramaticalmente no le veo objeción:
    "Maybe she didn't know you were going, as well as could be that she knew but forgot"
    "Tal vez no sabía que irías, como así también podría ser que lo supiera pero se hubiese olvidado"

3. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    I don't think it is correct: what could possibly be acceptable (although I don't particularly like it) would be: maybe she didn't know you were going, as well as it could be that she hasn't seen your mail.

But I would personally say it this way: maybe she didn't know you were going, but it could also be that she hasn't seen your mail.

4. Jason.

Jason. Junior Member

Costa Rica
    Español
    Yes, that's exactly what I said to him.

5. Gabriel

Gabriel Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / Español
    I agree with both of you. With the it (that I missed) it would be gramatically correct, I think, but not pretty.

6. Jason.

Jason. Junior Member

Costa Rica
    Español
    Maybe that's why I thought it didn't sound right when I first read it