Ask for a quote

Discussion in 'English Only' started by AskLang, Nov 19, 2008.

1. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    How would you express yourself when you want to ask a vendor if you can be quoted on a project you want to get done? I have made a few tries which I am not certain to be correct.

1) Can I have a quote for this project?
    2) Can I be quoted on this project?

Thanks very much,
    AskLang

2. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    In all of the following cases, you are requesting a quote from a vendor. I wasn't completely sure if this is what you meant.

'Would you/your firm please submit a quote for this project?'
    'Would you/your firm be interested in bidding on this project?'
    'We would like your firm to submit a quote on this project.'

3. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    Thanks a lot Cypherpunk. Those have really helped a lot.

4. losilmer

losilmer Senior Member

You could also say:

Can I have a quote (an estimate, a cost calculation) for this project?

5. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    Thanks losilmer :)

6. Basil Ganglia

Basil Ganglia Senior Member

Bellevue, WA
    English - USA
    "Can"' will often be used, but it is incorrect. "Can"' means that the speaker is asking the vendor if the speaker is capable of receiving a quote. Similarly, you may also hear "Could you provide a quote ..." but that is also incorrect. "Could" means that the speaker is asking whether the vendor has the ability to provide a quote.

The speaker is asking the vendor to "provide"' a quote or to "submit" a quote. The correct modal verb is "would". "Would you provide/submit a quote ...":tick:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  7. losilmer

losilmer Senior Member

Well...Let's see.

The fundamental verb "can" is a perfect substitute for "could", "may" and "might".
    Can I have a drink? is the same as May I ? or Could I ? or Might I ?

Of course, you can also say:
    Would (Could) you send, provide, give, mail, etc, me a quote...? But now you are asking directly from the provider of the quote.
    I consider this as another way of asking for the quote.

Asking with Can, May, Might I..? is a current way of asking for something. Exs. "May or Can I have your passport?"=Would you deliver (give, hand, etc) your passport?"
    I wonder if this is not the same.

I don't think it incorrect formulating the question with can.
    "Can" asks not only for capability, but also for permission or allowance. All grammars say so.

Moderator note: I've moved the rest of the discussion on can/may in an older thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  8. BODYholic Senior Member

Singapore
    Chinese Cantonese
    I can't offer much helps on the grammar aspect but just like to share with you that from where I am. We use "quotation" in lieu of "quote" in this context. When money is concerned, we usually use "quote" as a verb. E.g. "Quote me a price" or "Give me the quotation."

9. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    Thanks Bodyholic. I would also use "quotation" on more formal occasions. I think "quote" is more on verbal usage.

10. losilmer

losilmer Senior Member

A quotation is an estimate, a contractor's estimate for a specified job etc. It would involved specifications and calculations so as to arrived a the total price or amount.
    A quote, as a noun, is more restricted in meaning, it is the highest bid and lowest offer for a particular security in a given market at a given time, that is, the price or amount quoted in a quotation or estimate.
    To quote is to make the paperwork and calculations, so as to arrive to an end result (the quotation).
    Exs. "I have been asked by a client to quote him an estimate for his building. A week afterwards, I sent him the quotation (or estimate) which amounted to a sum total of $2,000,000. My client agreed to this quote, as he had received quotes of higher prices."

11. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    Thanks losilmer. That was most informative.

12. Basil Ganglia

Basil Ganglia Senior Member

Bellevue, WA
    English - USA
    That varies from how the terms are used in ordinary, everyday business practice in my experience in the US. In this context quote and quotation are interchangeable terms, with quote being used far more often than quotation. For 25 years I have been asked to submit quotes for business services. I prepare quotes for services and submit those quotes and am subsequently advised as to whether or not my quote has been accepted.

In my areas of practice Quotation typically appears only in the most formal bidding contexts, occurring almost exclusively with government agencies that use formalized bidding processes in which a Request for Proposals stipulates that the response must include a Quotation and setting forth the specifications for the Quotation.

Outside of those circumstances, most parties simply refer to everything as a quote.

13. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    Thank you Basil :)