Asking what someone else wants to do

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Cet, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Cet Junior Member

Atlanta, GA
    English - United States
    みなさん、こんいちは。質問がありますが日本語で言えるか分かりません。私が何かしたい時に “たい“を使いますがほかの人に聞く時はどうしますか。

例えば “What do you want to watch?“とか “What do you want to talk about?“と日本語で何と言いますか。“たい“を使いますか。

皆さんお世話になります。:) [not sure if it's right to say that in this context]

2. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Hello!

Actually, asking with ~たい is fine. Although, when asking a question about wanting, it's also common to see the volitional form ~ましょう/~おう. The problem comes when you want to say that a 3rd person wants, in that case you'd use ~たがる(usually in its continuous form たがっている) or ~たいと思っている.

Your question would be: 何を見たいのか; 話したいことって何だ?/何の話がしたいのか

Hope this helped. :)

PS: About 皆さんお世話になります, I think it's better to say in this case (どうぞ)よろしくお願いします.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Just add ですか?!
    何が観たいですか?何を話したいですか?/何について話したいですか?Either is OK.
    寝たいですか?食べたいですか?飲みたいですか(This is often when you're asking to go drink alcohol)?They are all formal. In casual speaking, they will differ a little.

Do you have a Japanese business partner? Good, reading 皆さんお世話になります here made me smile:) It's OK.

涼宮、yours sound like speech in manga or anime, but are enough correct when you want to convey what you want to say..たくさん言い方があるので。困るよね。

4. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    文脈がなかったので不フォーマル言い方を使えばいいと思いました。 :D, けれど、言った通り、日本語でたくさん言い方があります!

5. Cet Junior Member

Atlanta, GA
    English - United States
    涼宮さん、frecuencyさん、どうもありがとう!Exactly what I needed to know. :) (日本語でどう言うか分かりません) I hope to post here more often and I wish I knew more common polite phrases it's ok to use on message boards like these. "Thanks for all your help" (in advance), things like that. Hopefully I'll pick some up. Thanks again. :)

6. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Welcome! Thank you! Yees visit us and post more! 涼宮 is excellent and will help us a lot!