Aslında arkadaşları toplantıya benim hazırlamam gerekiyor ama

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by josh612, Feb 11, 2013.

1. josh612 Junior Member

American English
    Can I get some help with this sentence?

Aslında arkadaşları toplantıya benim hazırlamam gerekiyor ama zamanım olmayacak.

I understand that it reads something like "Actually...I need to get the meeting ready but I won't have time." But the "arkadaşları toplantıya" is throwing me. The next line reads "Arkadaşlara siz haber verir misiniz?" The woman who says this is asking a secretary to inform some people. Can someone give me a translation of the sentence that will help me make sense of it? Thank you.

2. snoopymanatee

snoopymanatee Senior Member

Türkiye/Turkiye
    Türkçe/Turkish
    Hello josh612,

It means,

"Actually I need to get the friends ready for the meeting but I won't have time."

I hope it helps.

Cheers.

3. josh612 Junior Member

American English
    Thanks very much!

4. EtudianteEternelle

EtudianteEternelle Junior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    Turkish
    Hi Josh,

I know this text. It is from the Hitit series of Turkish books. I agree with the translation provided by snoopymanatee, I just want to add that the emphasis here is to prepare the friends (colleagues) for the meeting and the person who prepares them should be the speaker (arkadaşları toplantıya benim hazırlamam). However, she will not have the time, so she asks the assistant to do that.

I congratulate you on your level. My student is at the same level as well and we did this passage just recently. Good luck.

5. josh612 Junior Member

American English
    Thanks very much for your kind reply! And you are correct, of course, I am doing the Hitit series.