Associated to / with

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Elena1, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Elena1 Senior Member

Mexico City
    Mexico, Spanish
    Hi, this is a message for native English speakers.

I have a question on the use of associated to/with. I have always used "associated" along with "to", similar to "related to", but I am not sure if this is gramatically correct. Can anyone help me on this?

2. stooge1970

stooge1970 Senior Member

Hi Elena, and welcome to the forum. In English we say "related to" but "associated with".

3. Elena1 Senior Member

Mexico City
    Mexico, Spanish
    Thanks, I owe you one. My confusion derived from an internet search in which I found many examples of published papers using "associated to".

4. Elena1 Senior Member

Mexico City
    Mexico, Spanish
    Here is another one for you: how about "compare", is it "compared to" or "compared with"?
  5. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    They are both used. compare to is used to compare unlike things and compare with is used for like things. In both cases, we are dealing with similarities and differences.

6. Elena1 Senior Member

Mexico City
    Mexico, Spanish
    Thanks indeed!! Adverbs can be really tricky.

7. Hukhux New Member

I think the main mistake nowadays is that ppl regard the frequency of appearance in Google pages as a language reference.

Many authors are not strictly English-literate, but they know English enough to self-publish on their own computer and send over. I am working in this field and know how it works. The articles received sometimes are checked only by automatic speller program and sent over to the publisher.

Actually, no one is checking them for the correctness of a language. That's why one should NOT refer to Google listing as a language reference
  8. wislabe Member

Spain's Spanish and Catalan
    I know this is post is waaay old, you may not even get this, but I'm just reading it now, so I'm going to try and ask anyway.

This is a very interesting nuance (the to/with difference). Could you use them in sentences? I don't quite get what makes things like or unlike in terms of preposition-choosing.

Thank you!
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  9. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    There's no logic to it. The choice of preposition depends on the verb.
  10. wislabe Member

Thanks for your reply, FromPA. However, geostan said that the choice of "compared to/with" depends on things being like or unlike.
  11. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
  12. wislabe Member

Thank you, geostan!
  13. hansgeluk New Member

I totally agree that Google should not replace our grammar books. But when used properly, it can still be very helpful. Just pick a website you trust and whose style you want to follow, and search inside that website. An example:

:arrow: "associated to" [2.420 hits]
    :arrow: "associated with" [34.600 hits]

However, even like this you need to be careful! The first hit (and the remaining results on the first page) all refer to a company called Associated!

Associated to bid £500m for Telegraph

Happy Holidays!
  14. capecom New Member

Tamil, Malayalam
    Can help me on this:
    1. It has been demonstrated that the chemical shift associated to the triphenylphosphonium group remained constant at ~24 ppm in the 1.5–12 pH range.
    2. In the meantime, the chemical shift associated to the diethylphosphonate group was pH dependent.
    Is it okay to use "associated to"?
  15. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    I would use only associated with in these 2 examples.

16. Wadih Ghattas New Member

"Associated with" would be better than "associated to" but in this case the term used in chemistry is "assigned to". So anyway your sentence is strange. Could the author be French ? in french associé à is the usual term.
  17. acme_54 Member

Valencia, Spain
    In my experience, the collocation of "associate + to" is a common mistake by Romance language speakers, for example Spanish, where "a" is the corresponding preposition (e.g. Spanish, "associado a") which in English is often translated as "to". However, the thing is that "to" is not the best translation EVERY TIME "a" appears in Spanish.
  18. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

British English
    In my experience, 'associate to' is found only where 'associate' is a noun, e.g. Hope is an associate to happiness.