1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

assombrit les perspectives

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by ARENDT, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ARENDT

ARENDT Senior Member

Rennes
    Français
    Hello !

I'm wondering if the following translation is relevante. Is the word outlook linked with markets in this sentence ?

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]L'incertitude qui plane sur les marchés dans beaucoup de pays riches assombrit encore les perspectives dans ce domaine.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Verdana, sans-serif]The uncertain outlook in many rich country markets casts a shadow over that too.[/FONT]

A point of view on that ?
    Thanks beforehand to all

2. Wes78 New Member

Ile de France
    Français - France
    Cette traduction me semble bien refléter le contexte de la phrase.

En y réfléchissant, j'ai du mal à faire plus clair que ça en fait !

3. ARENDT

ARENDT Senior Member

Rennes
    Français
    Merci pour cet éclairage.

4. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Vous comprenez bien la phrase, mais "rich country markets" ne va pas en anglais. Je dirais plutôt:
    Market uncertainty in many of the rich ....
    The uncertainty plaguing the markets in many rich ....

5. LART01

LART01 Senior Member

The Hague,Netherlands
    French-France
    Hi

Stock market uncertainty in ....

6. ARENDT

ARENDT Senior Member

Rennes
    Français
    Merci, je prends note de cette particularité.
    Cette phrase est extraite néanmoins du site BBC Learning English ???

7. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    You are right, ARENDT - I found it on the BBC Learning English site here, spoken by BBC World Service economics correspondent Andrew Walker, no less. In addition, as part of an economics context, the phrase gets quite a lot of hits on Google, though some of them hyphenate it as rich-country markets. When the phrase is used adjectivally, I think the hyphen should be there.

The problem, when considering the phrase in many rich country markets in English out of any context, is that it sounds as if it means dans beaucoup de marchés de campagne riches, and therefore I wouldn't recommend it. That's just my opinion, it would be interesting to see what other natives think.

Looking at some of the articles containing the phrase on Google, it seems that rich country markets (with or without the hyphen) may be a fairly recent addition to the lexicon of economists' jargon. Jargon comes and jargon goes, sometimes it becomes established, sometimes it falls by the wayside.

Out of context, in the sentence in which you quoted it in your original post, which might have been, say, an essay, I would prefer in many of the rich countries' markets or in the markets in many of the rich countries. It's always helpful, when you post, if you give the context in which you found a phrase. If it was for an essay you were writing, I still wouldn't recommend in many of the rich country markets.

8. ARENDT

ARENDT Senior Member

Rennes
    Français
    Thanks many for a such interesting response. You're completely right when you say that out of context an expression is not clear. The next time I'll keep your advice in mind before writing a new post.

By for now