1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

assuredly had out of her face

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Langsuyar, May 14, 2014.

1. Langsuyar Senior Member

Zaragoza
    Spanish-Aragon
    ¿Cómo se traduciría "assuredly had out of her face" en el texto siguiente?: Time went on; they had been married eight years. Mrs. Trevor called me Stafford and I called her Mary. Somehow, Polly had dropped out of our recollections as it assuredly had out of her face, and there were...
    Este texto pertenece a la novela The haunted house at Latchford de Charlotte Riddell. Es de 1872.
    Gracias por vuestra ayuda.

2. Bmm5045

Bmm5045 Senior Member

USA - English
    I can't quite tell what the "it" is referring to...is there an antecedent in the sentence before that we're missing? It sounds like they're talking about emotion or expression vanishing from her face in the wake of a loss or something traumatic. Am I on the right track?

3. Langsuyar Senior Member

Zaragoza
    Spanish-Aragon
    No hay ningún antecedente, "time" es el comienzo del párrafo. En cuanto a lo segundo, no sé a qué se refiere el texto. Pongo lo que viene a continuación por si sirve de ayuda: "and there were five children at Fairy Water and one in the churchyard, all boys, all except the very last comer, to whom I stood godfather...

4. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    Reading the story here the context is that Polly is actually Mrs. Trevor. Her real name is Mary but she had previously been called Polly as a pet name when she was younger.
    I imagine that 'it' refers to 'the name Polly'. Her face had matured as she had grown older.

5. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    Agree.
    I don't know how it happened, but we both fogot all about the former Polly and as she aged, Mary's face showed no sign of ever having been that girl.

6. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    It = "Polly", meaning the quality of being Polly.

7. Bmm5045

Bmm5045 Senior Member

USA - English
    So...where does that leave us with the translation? Would it suffice to do it relatively literally? "De alguna manera, Polly se había caído de nuestros recuerdos como se había caído de su cara/rostro?

8. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Sin que nadie se diera cuenta, "Polly" había desaparecido, tanto de nuestras memorias como, desde luego, de su rostro.