1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

at a global level/on a global level

Discussion in 'English Only' started by SunnyS, Sep 12, 2011.

1. SunnyS Senior Member

at a global level/on a global level

Can we use both of these phrases in English? Is one considered better style than the other? Does it depend strictly on the verb or context?

Innovative financing at a global level. (sounds better to me than "on a global level" - do you agree ?)

Connecting on a global level. (sounds better to me than "at a global level" - do you agree ?)

It is your opportunity to participate in exploring successful practices in education on a global level or at a global level?

(What sounds better here? Does it make any difference? I'm confused! :()

2. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I think (as you say) it depends strictly on the context (and maybe the verb). I've a feeling that 'at a global level' is often a shortened form of 'considered at a global level' (i.e. viewed in a global context, or from a global perspective).
    With regard to your examples, I would need further context in all three cases, to be certain which way I would go.

3. SunnyS Senior Member

Hi, the first two examples I just copied from the web, so you can just look them up. The third is from a brochure for a conference on education that brings together educators "from around the globe" --that's why they say "on a global level." Yet a friend said it would have sounded better if they had written "at a global level." :confused:

Is that enough context for you?

4. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Frankly, given the enhanced context, I'd say that neither is particularly appropriate, but if pushed would say they had it right in the brochure. It's taken from marketing after all. Let's not forget that they like to make things sound a little more important, or opportunity laden than they might actually turn out to be.

5. SunnyS Senior Member

OK, thank you.