at a/( ) school??

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mstrike01, Jan 14, 2013.

1. mstrike01 Junior Member

Korean
    "I'm a student at a school for the arts"

This sentence is from one of the korean grammar book.

Is this sentence correct???

2. JamesMag Junior Member

Paris
    British English
    I don't see any problem with it.

3. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    I find it hugely inelegant. In fact, I find it weird. :( What's wrong with 'I'm a student at an art school' or 'I study at an art school' or something shorter and better-sounding? :(

4. JamesMag Junior Member

Paris
    British English
    A School for the arts or of the arts is a set phrase that we use rather than art school, perhaps because it sounds more prestigious. For me art school sounds too simple and doesn't reflect the quality of the school. Here's a random example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_High_School_for_the_Arts

5. JamesMag Junior Member

Paris
    British English
    Also when referring to the arts we mean painting, literature, cinema, sculpting, poetry etc. For some, however, art might just imply visual arts rather than all of the other activities that we categorise as art.

6. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Point taken, JM. I suppose I was taken aback by the preposition 'for'... 'Of the arts' sounds a lot better to me.

7. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Indeed, the one here is called the Singapore School of the Arts (as in here). But I don't think I have a problem with School for the Arts.

I noticed that the title suggests that mstrike is wondering about the use of the article a as opposed to a zero article. The use of the indefinite article is fine, although if there is only one in the place (as is true here), the definite article is possible. But whichever it is, an article is necessary.

8. mstrike01 Junior Member

Korean
    Thank you all for the information!! :)