1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. sonix

sonix Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain
    I want to translate the following Spanish sentence into English : `El estudiante debería continuar en el mismo nivel el próximo curso.´

My attempt : `The student should continue at -or on - the same level next course.´

My question : which is the best preposition for the English sentence, at or on? or both are correct?

Thanks in advance ;)

2. abb1025

abb1025 Senior Member

USA
    English USA
    They are both correct, but I think at sounds better in your sentence.

Also, depending on the type of class or school I would say next session/next semester/next term. You might say for the next course, but not next course.

3. sonix

sonix Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain
    Thanks abb1025 for your clear answer ;)

4. sonix

sonix Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain
    Only one more question : why is it more correct to say `for the next course´? Isn´t it correct to say a sentence like `Next course we will study new subjects´ ? or would you say `For the next course we will study new subjects´?

Thanks in advance for your answer ;)

5. abb1025

abb1025 Senior Member

USA
    English USA
    Hello. I think the difference is that at least in American English, we use course to mean a specific class, but we use semester or term to mean a block of time in which a student may take several different classes.

If you mean that in one class, new topics will be studied, then I would say, "In the next course, we will study different subjects." If you mean that in the next block of time several different classes will be taken, then, "Next session/term/semester, we will study new subjects.

Next without the is used to refer to time, next year, next fall, next semester/session etc. The next is used to talk about specific items, such as the next class. :D

6. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    In BE we would say "next year" (meaning academic year) and I would never use "on" the same level here, only "at".