1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

At the other end of the spectrum

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by stef13, Mar 16, 2010.

1. stef13 Junior Member

French
    Hi everyone!

What could be the translation into French of the expression "at the other end of the spectrum" ?

Here is the whole sentence that comes from a text about detective novels (all of the names are the ones of detectives)

"At the other end of the spectrum were new incarnations of
    Old Cap, Old Sleuth, and Nick Carter"

I found "à l'autre extrémité du spectre" but it seems so literal to me, I don't think we'd use it in French (I may be wrong)

Thanks for your help

2. Woodrow Junior Member

Grenoble, France
    British English
    It's an expression used here to describe the juxtaposition between elements that are opposites/completely different.

Here It shows the extremes at both ends of the range of detective novels.

3. Black Widow

Black Widow Senior Member

France
    French
    hello;

I think something like, "d'un coté il y avait çà et de l'autre les nouvelles incarnations..."

; )

4. sbock3 New Member

English – Canada
    An idiomatic expression in French (which appeared in a translation I am currently doing) would be "à l'envers de la médaille".

5. Mauricet Senior Member

near Grenoble
    French - France
    "L'envers de la médaille" est bien idiomatique, mais n'a pas du tout le même sens que "l'autre extrémité/bout du spectre" qui suppose un continuum (le spectre, comme la lumière décomposée par un prisme, avec le violet à une extrémité, le rouge à l'autre, et bleu, vert, jaune et orangé entre les deux) plutôt qu'une opposition binaire.