at your convenience / at your discretion

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sadoudou, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Sadoudou Junior Member

Bergerac, Dordogne
    France - French
    Hello!

I just wonder whether the two phrases have the same meaning or not?
    If there is a difference, I can't see what it is...

The full sentence is: "Where no drawing is received, the items may be positioned at our discretion, and re-fixing could involve additional costs."

Any help would be much apreciated!

Sadoudou

2. daviswnjc Junior Member

Boston, MA
    USA - English
    Hi Sadoudou,

The full sentence is: "Where no drawing is received, the items may be positioned at our discretion, and re-fixing could involve additional costs."

"Positioned at our discretion" is informing you that we can position it if we believe it should be changed.

"Positioned at our convenience" is informing you that we can position it when we have the time (as long as we actually have the time to do it).

3. Sadoudou Junior Member

Bergerac, Dordogne
    France - French
    Hello Daviswnjc,

Thank you for your answer. So "at your convenience" implies a 'time' idea... I thought it was more like 'we can position them where we want'...

And I don't understand what you mean by "is informing you that we can position it if we believe it should be changed."

What I would like to tell them is that they can position the items wherever they want. Can I send them an answer saying "Items to be positionned at your discretion"?
    Thanks a lot for your help!

4. daviswnjc Junior Member

Boston, MA
    USA - English
    Based on what you have said your intention is I would say that the phrase you have written "Items to be positioned at your discretion" conveys what you want to say perectly. (notice the spelling change from positionned to positioned)

5. Sadoudou Junior Member

Bergerac, Dordogne
    France - French
    Thanks a lot! you see the 2 'n' are obviously from French --> thank you for correcting my mistake!!
    Have a nice day!

6. tphuong122002 Senior Member

Vietnamese Vietnam
    In short, "at your convenience" means "as you find it convenient", and "at your discretion" means "as you like".