1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

at your earliest convenience

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by patty71, Jul 17, 2006.

1. patty71 New Member

french
    Hi, can anybody tell me how to translated properly in French "at your earliest convenience"
    Thank U

2. Gardefeu Senior Member

x
    x
    Dès que cela vous sera possible

3. xtrasystole

xtrasystole Senior Member

France
    I second that.

Also (more formal): 'dans les meilleurs délais'.

4. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    To me, this sounds like, ..as soon as possible. Is this really any different than dès que possible? On the other hand, ..quand cela vous conviendra means, ..at your convenience. Perhaps I am mistaken, but don't we really need a phrase that 'combines' both of the above ideas - that is, one that implies urgency but mentions the recpient's convenience? I may be splitting hairs. Thank you in advance. :confused:

5. Muffine New Member

London
    English > England
    I agree with David314. Would dans les meilleurs délais que vous conviendra achieve both?

6. Teafrog

Teafrog Senior Member

London
    UK English (& rusty French…)
    No. This sounds very awkward; it should be "…qui vous conviendront", anyway (and it would still seem strange :p)
    I vote for post 2 and 6
    "At your earliest convenience" is a polite way to mean "as soon as you can do it". There are bound to be some differences between countries as to the best and polite way to express something like this. 'Dans les meilleurs délais' is the standard French expression.

7. xtrasystole

France
    I would say: 'le plus vite qu'il vous sera possible' (carries the idea of urgency and at the same time sounds polite and not too imperative).

8. Teafrog

Teafrog Senior Member

London
    UK English (& rusty French…)
    Quick Q: wouldn't you say au plus vite…?

9. xtrasystole

France
    Hello Teafrog,

I think 'le plus vite qu'il vous sera possible' is better than 'au plus vite qu'il vous sera possible' but I am not sure why.

I would say that 'le plus vite qu'il vous sera possible' sounds a polite and toned-down variant of the imperative 'le plus vite possible' (and you don't say 'au plus vite possible', only 'au plus vite'.)

10. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    au plus vite is a set phrase that admits no subordinate to define it since it contains a superlative. (at the fastest pace could be a literal translation).

11. farnese New Member

French & English
    ''au plus vite qu'il vous sera possible' is incorrect : it's either : "au plus vite", with no complement because it's a superlative; or "aussi vite qu'il vous sera possible" (comparative).
    le plus vite qu'il vous sera possible' sounds awkward; it's not the standard phrase you'd expect at the end of a letter.
    To sum up:
    (1) Merci de me répondre au plus vite. > is concise, not overly polite ; is fine when addressing people you already know or in strictly business correspondence.
    (2) Merci de me répondre dans les meilleurs délais. > is slightly more haughty ;
    (3) Je vous serais reconnaissant de me contacter dès que cela vous sera possible / aussi vite que possible : would best apply when inquiring about an application for a job. In which case (2) would definitely be a "faux-pas".
    Hope it helps!