Attn: Department of English (email subject heading)

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by radosna, Mar 27, 2013.

1. radosna Senior Member

Poland
    English- USA
    Hello everybody!

I'm in the midst of arranging performances & bookings for an international theatre company I'm affiliated with. Part of my work includes contacting schools we've not yet performed in. In my experience (and to my surprise), I've discovered that most school secretaries do not speak English! Thus I need to explicitly state (in Polish) in my email subject headings that the email should be directed to an English teacher (or the English department). What would be the best way of phrasing this, in your opinion?

In English, we often use "Attn" as a short form of "Attention". In German, we often use "z.H." (zu Händen).

In the past, I've simply written "do nauczycieli angielskiego" but perhaps this is too primitive.

The school types we predominantly work with are primary school, gimnazjum, & liceum.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Sincerely,
    radosna

2. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    The schools you deal with haven't got a "department" of English. They have one, two, or maybe three English teachers, if they are big enough. So if you write "do nauczyciela języka angielskiego" it's perfectly fitting.
    Departaments are only at universities, and in my student times were called "lektorat".
    Some universities have departments of English philology, for bachelor and master studies.

3. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, I agree. I think you should address it: Do nauczyciela języka angielskiego. The English Department in countries like Poland will be only at the universities which have philological, or language studies, programs.

4. radosna Senior Member

Poland
    English- USA
    Thank you for your replies, LilianaB and Ben Jamin! Thanks also for correcting my mistakes. :)

5. kknd Senior Member

Polska / Poland
    polski / Polish
    i think it might be helpful in some way: given formulas (zu Händen von and "for the attention of") have polish equivalent in do wiadomości [gen.] (abbr. "DW: [nom.]").