1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"atzor" vs "tafsik" for "Stop!"

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by trigel, Jan 13, 2013.

1. trigel Senior Member

English - US, Korean
    For the one-word command "Stop!" there seems to be only two imperatives in common use, "atzor" and "tafsik". "taatzor" and "hafsek" are rarer. Is this like the emor/tagid complementary distribution or is there something more subtle to it?

2. GeriReshef

GeriReshef Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    atzor עצור = imperative, taatzor תעצור = future
    hafsek הפסק = imperative, tafsik תפסיק = future

There is a tendendency to use the future instead of the imperative, maybe because it is more polite, maybe because the spoken language is more "flat".

Other options חדל (xadal, formal), הרף (heref, formal), די/מספיק (day/maspik, coloquial).

emor (imperative) is more formal than tagid (future).
    I'm not sure but maybe tagid is equivalent to say (surely speaking) and emor is equivalent to tell (probably speaking).

3. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Well, חדל is less formal and more of an army word. I don't think it exists anywhere outside the phrase חדל אש (hold your fire)

4. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    I think the question is whether or not they are used in slightly different circumstances? לעצור is for generally stopping from moving, while להפסיק is for stopping doing an activity. So, I'd say among friends, you'd hear די כבר, תפסיק/י or
    תפסיק/י, את/ה לא עושה את זה נכון. Someone stopping you in the street might say עצור!

5. anipo Senior Member

Israel
    Spanish (Arg)- German
    You are right. That is the difference between the two words.

6. hansannoin New Member

English
    How about the song חדל לבכות אחי?