au prorata de l'apurement de l'avance

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by rinette_sing, Apr 15, 2009.

1. rinette_sing Junior Member

Singapore
    French - France
    Hi,

I have a whole sentence from a sales contract that is giving me trouble (especially the end of the sentence):

20% du montant vise a l'article 8, en hors taxes a titre d'avance forfaitaire, a la date d'entree en vigueur du contrat par virement bancaire et contre presentation d'une facture commerciale et d'une garantie bancaire de restitution d'avance d'egale valeur, liberable au fur et a mesure et au prorata de l'apurement de l'avance.

My try is:

20% of the amount provided for in article 8, excluding taxes, as advance payment to be settled on the date of effect of the contract by bank transfer against production of a sales invoice and of a bank security of repayment of the advance payment of the same value, that can be gradually released based on the portion of the sum repaid.

But since I dont really get the general idea behind (are they talking about a bank loan?), I am not sure about my translation...

Any help is welcome, thanks...

2. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    I believe your interpretation of the [incomplete] phrase is correct, including the queried last part.
    Use "bank guarantee" in place of "bank security".
    avance = advance (the word "payment" is not required)

3. rinette_sing Junior Member

Singapore
    French - France
    thank you!

then could apurement de l'avance also be more specifically translated by loan payment?

4. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    "Loan repayment", "discharge of the debt" or "as the loan is [being] paid down/as the advance is [being] repaid" might be preferable.

5. rinette_sing Junior Member

Singapore
    French - France
    Thank you very much! I think I will stick with your last proposal: as the advance is being repaid; simple and clear.

Good night and thanks again!