Auberge espagnole

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by naoli, Apr 29, 2007.

1. naoli Junior Member

Moderator Note: several threads have been merged to create this one.

Hi,

How would you say "auberge espagnole" in english ? By "auberge espagnole" I mean some house-sharing between several foreign students...

Thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  2. pheelineerie

pheelineerie Senior Member

Lawrence, Kansas, USA
    American English
    Well, the film was called The Spanish Apartment in English, but if you're trying to find a way to express this idea in general, I'd suggest something like student co-op, perhaps...

3. Denis the fatalist Senior Member

Monaco Monte-Carlo
    France/French
    Forget any spanish hotel for this, unless people you're speaking to have seen that moovie-picture-film etc. Before that and even now, "une auberge espagnole" is a place where you have to bring everything you need. The title was a kind of joke. Then you'd better find out an expression in the pheelineerie's kind.

4. zazap Senior Member

Valencia
    Canada, French and English
    Hmmm. I thought "auberge espagnole" in French was a kind of potluck (AE).

I would call what you describe an exchange student flat or apartment.

5. polaire Senior Member

English, United States
    Incidentally, I've also seen the title "Euro Pudding" used for the movie. To me, the concept of "une auberge espagnole" is a bit like the American "potluck." That's a dinner where everyone brings something to eat. It's a mix of dishes and sometimes a little dicey.

6. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

a group house or group apartment/flat

7. eldarf Junior Member

Lyon
    france/french
    i'd say a student flat share

8. LMorland

LMorland Senior Member

Paris
    American living in France
    I second wildan1's suggestion. eldarf's suggestion would work in an English context, but not an American one, as flat has a very particular meaning in American English. Besides, the original question referred to "house-sharing between several foreign students..."

By the way, apparently the film was most commonly known as L'Auberge Espagnole in the U.S. (see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283900/) and that's the name it played under in the San Francisco Bay Area, at least (where I saw it).

It's interesting how film marketing people make naming decisions. I love it when they translate an English title into another, completely different, English title. This happens with some regularity in France.

9. naoli Junior Member

Wow wow wow,
    thanks a lot to all of you... I can see there is no exact translation. But I think I can manage with all your answers !

Thanks again !!!

10. wannabequebecois New Member

Canada
    English - South African
    Aujourd'hui (20 Mai) le fin du Journal en français facile sur RFI a une explication complet de "l'auberge espangnol"? Je suis desolé - je ne peut pas afficher le lien. Aussi, le titre du film au Canada était "Potluck" en anglais.

11. williamc Senior Member

england english
    Did you know that "l'auberge espagnole" is a French expression for a place where cultures are mixed together like a stew (from Google).

[...]

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  12. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    D'après TLFi:

13. je_bosse New Member

United States
    English- W. United States
    There is a film with this title and in the movie they live literally in a 'spanish apartment' but I think it said in the film that it is also an expression. Does it have idiomatic meaning?

Il y a un film avec ce tître et dqns ce film les personnages vivent literalement dans une auberge en espagne, mais je croix que cette expression et aussi un idiome. Est-ce qu'il y a vraiment une connotation idiomatique ?

14. Magemax Junior Member

Fench
    In french, "auberge espagnole" is indeed an idiomatic expression, meaning "a restaurant where you have to bring what you will eat".

It has a wider use, which means more or less "You will get from it as much as you put in", or "It's up to you to make it a good experience".

Is there an equivalent expression in english ?

15. titekrolyn

titekrolyn Junior Member

Lille, France
    France
    Indeed, it is idiomatic, it's not necessarily in Spain. It's a place where you can only find what you bring. It's quite complicated to explain but watch the (great) movie and you'll understand perfectly what it means !

16. je_bosse New Member

United States
    English- W. United States
    Well, I did enjoy the movie a lot. Now, so much of it makes a lot more sense!

The English equivalent would be just that 'you get what you put in'. There is also 'you reap what you sow' (vous recuellissez que vous semez), but that isn't very commonly used and would sound weird.

17. Pepe le Piou Junior Member

Hi Je bosse.

In French the right expression and spelling would be "vous récoltez ce que vous semez" or "vous cueillez ce que vous avez semé/planté".

18. Jesumiguel4907 Junior Member

UK, English, French
    When I go to church for a meal in group where we are suppose to contribute with ingredients, quiches, cakes, salads and fruit, etc. we call this a bring and share.