audiencia unica

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by chelseafan, Aug 12, 2013.

1. chelseafan New Member

spanish - ecuador
    Hello, I'm having trouble with the words 'audiencia unica'. It means a Heraring that will happen only once and after which a verdict will be made.

I have seen Single Hearing and my choice is Only Hearing, but neither feel right.

Thanks in advance.

2. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    It depends how you use these phrases in a sentence. You could consider these:

There will be only one hearing.
    This is the only hearing you will have.
    You will have one hearing -- just one.
    There will be a single hearing, after which a verdict will be entered.
    You will have just one hearing.

3. chelseafan New Member

spanish - ecuador
    Thanks Liti!!

4. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Or "sole hearing." It would be better if you provided context (forum rules require it). :)

5. chelseafan New Member

spanish - ecuador
    Thanks!

the sentence is like this: "...los demandados responderán a las preguntas que directamente les formularé el día de la Audiencia Única."

6. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Seems like this might be a Peru/Ecuador thing. Are your readers going to be familiar with it? Otherwise you might need to say "during the sole hearing that will be held on the matter" or "during the only hearing for the case" or something like that.

7. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    I just ran onto something that might be relevant here. It is possible to bifurcate a trial -- to hold two trials, within one case; one trial on one topic, and another trial on a second topic. It is also common to have two hearings in a criminal matter -- one to find if the defendant is guilty, and another to decide what sentence to impose. In criminal cases, those two are referred to as "phases" -- the guilt phase and the sentencing phase.

When someone wants a bifurcated trial, but they are not allowed to have one, they refer to the single trial as a "unitary trial" -- all issues are tried at once.

Perhaps this relates to the "audiencia unica" ???

8. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

It sounds like this is a civil case, though.

9. chelseafan New Member

spanish - ecuador
    It is. It's a paternity lawsuit

10. JGCuadra Senior Member

Nicaragua
    Latinamerican Spanish
    Single Hearing? Sole Hearing?