Audiolingual method

Discussion in 'English Only' started by gvergara, Apr 16, 2007.

1. gvergara

gvergara Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Español
    Hi:
    I don't know if it's permitted to do this, but if it is, I would like you to correct this short summary I've just made. It's short and, I hope, contains few mistakes. If not, please excuse me, I didn't mean to break the rules of the forum. Bye

Developed as a reaction to the Grammar-Translation Method and as an expansion of the Direct Method, the Audiolingual Method arose from the needs of the US during and after World War II, thus becoming the prevailing method of teaching foreign languages for the next 20 years, and having a big influence on the methods that were to follow it . The main aim of the Audiolingual Method was the acquisition of fluency and accuracy through constant repetition, prompting students to give automatic answers to different stimuli. At first, this new way of teaching languages was welcomed because of its quick results, a feature that was in sharp contrast to its predecessors and which completely suited US’s needs. However, its importance started to decay as years went by, as it proved to be successful neither in terms of producing long-term skills, nor in enabling students to transfer their knowledge outside the classroom.

One major influence on the appearance of the Audiolingual method were the then new behaviourist theories, supported by psychologists such as Skinner and Pavlov.

The main principles which ruled this new method were:

a) Extensive use of dialogues.
    b) Extensive use of repetition, based on habit-formation beliefs. People were thought to be blank sheets, which enabled them to be moulded under the correct conditions.
    c) Inductive rather than a deductive approach to grammar teaching.
    d) Teacher played a major role in the process. He had to provide the students with a native-speaker-like model, and also encourage them through rewards to speak correctly.
    e) As already stated, the main goal of this method was the acquisition of fluency and accuracy in a short period of time.
    f) Contrastive analysis. (emphasis on differences between mother language and target language, rather than on similarities)
    g) Use of mother language was to be discouraged.
    h) Pronunciation and accuracy are attached a great importance.

2. haywire Senior Member

New Orleans, LA
    US - English

Here's my take on your request. I changed around the first part because there were too many comma splices and wasn't as concise as it could have been, imo.

Overall it was well written and could totally understand the subject and supporting points. Just changed it to sound more 'native' to my ears. If you're supposed to be writing in British/Canadian spelling then ignore the US ENGLISH tags.

3. gvergara

gvergara Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Español
    Thanks a lot, Haywire. I really appreciate what you've just done for me. In case you need something, just let me know. Bye

Gonzalo