1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

'Aus' plus the dative after 'insbesondere'

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by aahhppll, May 7, 2013.

1. aahhppll

aahhppll Junior Member

England
    English - England
    Die Grenzanlagen bestanden aus verschiedenen Komponenten insbesondere die Wachtürme.

or

Die Grenzanlagen bestanden aus verschiedenen Komponenten insbesondere die Wachtürmen.

Which of these sentences is correct?

Danke!

2. berndf Moderator Staff Member

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Dative would be den Wachtürmen.and not *die Wachtürmen.

But as insbesondere relates Wachtürme to Grenzanlagen and not to Komponenten, Wachtürme has to agree in case with Grenzanlagen, i.e. nominative. Ergo: die Wachtürme is correct.

3. Sowka

Sowka Forera und Moderatorin Staff Member

Hannover
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello :)

I think "insbesondere" relates the Wachtürme to "Komponenten", therefore, it should be dative. In my understanding, Wachtürme are one type of components of the Grenzanlagen.

Therefore, I'd write: Die Grenzanlagen bestanden aus verschiedenen Komponenten, insbesondere den Wachtürmen.

4. berndf Moderator Staff Member

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Ah! You don't understand the meaning the same way I do. The way he wrote it the sentence means:
    Die Grenzanlagen bestanden aus verschiedenen Komponenten [und] insbesondere die Wachtürme [bestehen aus verschiedenen Komponenten].

If you want to say that the Wachtürme is one of the components and not that the Wachtürme are one of the Grenzanlagen that consist of different components, you might consider making the meaning clearer by reinforcing the symmetry between Komponenten and Wachtürmen by removing the article or repeat the preposition aus:
    Die Grenzanlagen bestanden aus verschiedenen Komponenten, insbesondere Wachtürmen.
    Die Grenzanlagen bestanden aus verschiedenen Komponenten, insbesondere aus den Wachtürmen.

5. aahhppll

aahhppll Junior Member

England
    English - England
    Oops, I meant to write den in the second sentence - must have forgot what I was doing! And I was meaning the Wachtürme were one of the Grenzanlagen, didn't realise there were two ways of looking at the meaning. Danke schön!