Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by baosheng, Apr 18, 2013.

1. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English

Would anyone know how to say "auto-tune" in Chinese? I can't seem to find it any dictionaries (since this is a relatively new word). This is when a machine changes the pitch of a singer's voice (or what normally is a singer's voice) in order to better match the pitches of the notes in a melody. (ex. Cher, one of 凤凰传奇's new songs... and many others. I am not a big fan of auto-tune, but it certainly is popular!).

For example, if one wanted to ask:
    "Is this song auto-tuned or is that their real voice"?
    这首歌被 ___ 或者这是他真的声音/歌声吗? (is my crude attempt!)

2. tarlou Senior Member

I'm not aware of a Chinese word for that. Maybe other people have better suggestions, but I'd explain it a little bit like this:
  3. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

In tarlou's suggestion, I think 电子变声 is good, but 真实的声音 sounds redundant in speech.
    For the original voice, consider 真声, 原声, 原音 and so on.
    For a general description of digitally changing voice, you can also consider 变声, 变调(diao4), and so on.

In general, for anything which has been processed by machines, you can say 经过处理的 or 处理过的 or 经过电脑处理的, etc.
    A: 这声音是原声吗? B:不,这是经过处理的。
    A: 这照片是真的吗? B:不,这是处理过的。
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  4. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English
    Thanks to both of you for your replies! These are perfect :thumbsup:
  5. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    I advice not to say 真声/真音, as it would be understood as the opposite of 假声/假音 (falsetto).
    By the way, is there a word in English to describing somebody singing NOT in falsetto?
  6. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English
    Oh that's good to know. Thanks, Youngfun!
    As for the opposite of falsetto, I don't know the technical term, but people on this forum call it the "chest voice" (which is the same term I heard when I was little, if it is indeed the equivalent). If there is a more correct term... I imagine it would be the same as the one used in Italian ;)
  7. learntheworld Senior Member

The above suggestions are all very helpful. Personally, I think “auto-tuned” in your example can be translated as “经过后期处理的” and similar words are often said by people working in the studio. As what Youngfun reminded above, in order not to mistake “真声” for the opposite of 假声(falsetto)in a certain situation, here 真实的声音/真实的人声 can be used. By the way, I'm not sure if it is a fact that most songs we listen to nowadays are auto-tuned to a certain extent.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013