Autocomplete disabled in Mac Firefox

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by ra4ul, Aug 24, 2013.

1. ra4ul New Member

I see that word completion is disabled specifically in Firefox on OS X through the following code:

var WRautocomplete=function(){if( X.*Firefox/gi))

I'm wondering if this is outdated, since I've been using it without issue (by spoofing the user agent) for some time now and see no difference when using other browsers / systems. I found this old thread that may explain why Firefox / Mac was singled out in the first place, but it seems to be working consistently now.
  2. nutmeg Junior Member

U.S.: New York City; English
    In the past couple of days I noticed that word completion has started again on Firefox on OS X. Is there a way to turn it off?

3. ra4ul New Member

Mike changed the code to check for OS X.*Firefox1234, so you can turn it off if you spoof your user agent on as Firefox1234.

Enter about:config in the URL, Right-click > New > String and enter as the preference name. Then for the value enter something like Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox1234/23.0
  4. nutmeg Junior Member

Thanks! That worked.
  5. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    I have started getting complaints from people about this. The problem is that some people, at least, have to hit Enter twice to submit a query when autocomplete functionality is turned on for Mac Firefox. Does this happen to all of you? Basically, you type a word without using the autocomplete function, and you end up having to hit Enter twice.
  6. nutmeg Junior Member

Yes, that's true. When auto-complete is on I have to hit Enter twice: the first Enter dismisses the auto-complete menu, and the second one starts the search.

And turning off auto-complete has the undesirable effect of removing the search button with the magnifying glass.

I can send you screenshots if you want.
  7. ra4ul New Member

Sorry I didn't notice this before, but this also happens to me on Mac Firefox (and should for everyone due to the way it handles dropdowns internally). However this should be easy to fix with a keydown event listener on the relevant input:

document.getElementById("si").addEventListener("keydown", code, false);
    function code(e) {
    if (e.keyCode == 13) // maybe also check for Mac Firefox

I just tested it and it worked, though it'll obviously require more rigorous testing.
  8. mylojr Junior Member

English - US, India
    Autocomplete is not working for me and I would like to have it. It is really helpful when I am looking for a Spanish word that I don't know the exact spelling for.
    Can it be turned on?

I have Firefox 22.0 with Mac OX 10.8.5 running on a Macbook Pro. Thanks.
  9. ra4ul New Member

Follow the instructions I posted in comment #3 (see above). When you enter a new value for the preference change "OS X" to "SO X", or something similar.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  10. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    I see that I never wrote in this thread that I had to revert it due to the complaints about having to hit Enter twice. I'm afraid that I don't have a solution. I was working on one in October, but it didn't work in the end.

I've got another idea. I'll see what I can do in the next few weeks.