1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Autodichiarazione

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by FetteBiscottate, Mar 12, 2011.

1. FetteBiscottate Senior Member

Ireland
    English - Ireland
    Hi there,

Is there someone who can translate the word "autodichiarazione" satisfactorily into English? I can't find trace of it in any online dictionary.

The context in which I have met the term is when creating Business-to-business (B2B) invoices. When the address associated with the payment method is different to that contained in their "Certificato Attribuzione di Partita IVA", we must ask the customer to provide an autodichiarazione, attesting the connection between both addresses.

My attempt of a translation of autodichiarazione in general is

"Statemente/Declaration of *************".

Eg. "Declaration of income", etc.

I think that in English, the "auto" part of the word is implied.

Can anyone help?

Fb.

2. Yulan

Yulan Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Ciao Fb :)

I think "Self-declaration" could do.

Ciao :)

3. FetteBiscottate Senior Member

Ireland
    English - Ireland
    Hi Yulan,

That is the problem, an English speaker would never say "Self-declaration".

It would make no sense to another English speaker.

Saluti,

Fb.

4. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    I think this is going to be one of those Italian words where there is a little "extra" in it, that may or may not be necessary, depending on the context.:D

HERE's a Eur-Lex which uses "Self-declaration" - a wild guess is that the English side came first.

HERE it's given as "statement".

HERE it's "self-declaration".

5. johngiovanni

johngiovanni Senior Member

"Self-certification statement" exists in English - "autocertificazione". "Self-statement" is used in the area of psychology and some therapeutic methods. I have also seen "self-statement" used occasionally to mean "personal statement", as part of an application for higher education for example. In the context of this thread, though, "Declaration of..." or "Statement of ..." would probably be used.
    PS - Have just read Tim's post, so "self-declaration" obviously exists too.

6. FetteBiscottate Senior Member

Ireland
    English - Ireland
    @JohnGiovanni: The idea here isn't just to find a word that merely exists in English, but a satisfactory translation of the term IN THIS CONTEXT. That is why a term used in a pschycological/higher education is not of use to us here.

"PS - Have just read Tim's post, so "self-declaration" obviously exists too."

At the risk of repeating myself, a term is not sufficient merely because it has been used by someone at some stage. It has to make sense to a speaker of the language. That is why "self-declaration" doesn't work. If I were to ask a businessman in English for a self-declaration, it sounds strange, and I doubt it would be understood with ease.

But yes, in the absense of further input from someone who has experience in the field, I suppose "Declaration of..." or "Statement of ..." is the best we can do right now.

@TimLA: thank you for your very measured and informed response, it helped a lot.

Kind regards,
    Fb.

7. Yulan

Yulan Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Ciao FB :)

I don't think you should call it "Declaration of income" ("income" is "reddito", "entrate" and has nothing to do with "VAT number attribution").

I believe you should somehow explain what the declaration refers to: could "Declaration of Billing address matching" or "Statement of valid billing entities" do?

Hope it helps

P.S. Hi TIM and Hi John!

8. FetteBiscottate Senior Member

Ireland
    English - Ireland
    Dear Yulan,

Try to understand what the following means:

"My attempt of a translation of autodichiarazione in general is

"Statemente/Declaration of *************".

Eg. "Declaration of income", etc.

I think that in English, the "auto" part of the word is implied."

Considering that autodichiarazione could be used for more than just one type of statement, the ************* stands for whatever type of autodichiarazione it is.
    Eg. means "for example". It does not mean that my attempt to translate "autodichiarazione of correlation between addresses" is "Statement of income.".

9. Yulan

Yulan Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Dear FB,

I've tried: it was not so difficult after all!
    BTW, sorry ... you know, I was so focused on trying to help you that I actually didn't realize that it was a mere example.