1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

autorisé à l'esprit civique

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by astray504, May 6, 2013.

1. astray504 Senior Member

Paris
    English (Canada)
    Hello, I am trying to understand the following sentence. The context: the author is trying to figure out why no one will speak out against racketeers, no matter what incentives or protections are offered. I don't understand the meaning of the underlined part of the sentence.

Les appels des personnes les plus autorisées à l’esprit civique de la population, la garantie du secret, rien n’y fait.

My try.

Appeals from people considered, by the general population, to possess the most authority in terms of civic-mindedness ...

I would be grateful for your explanations and suggestions.
    Astray

2. starstuff Junior Member

France
    français
    I think maye you "cut" your sentence the wrong way.
    Le sujet de la phrase : "les appels"
    les appels de qui : des personnes les plus autorisées (à faire les appels ?) Maybe it refers to high ranking people. I'm not sure, I never encountered that expression before.
    les appels à quoi : à l'esprit civique

hopefully this helps a little.

edit: perhaps by 'les plus autorisées" the author means "those with the authority to do so whether intellectual or social. (as in an argument from authority)

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  3. OLN

OLN Senior Member

Alsace, France
    French - France, ♀
    Starstuff is right, the title "autorisé à l'esprit civique" is wrong.
    à l'esprit civique is compl. of appels.

The most authorized persons appeal to [the population's] civic-mindedness, but in vain.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  4. astray504 Senior Member

Paris
    English (Canada)
    Thank you very much starstuff and OLN for your explanations and suggestions. I can see why I couldn't make head nor tail of the sentence.