1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

avoir beau être

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Tupp, May 21, 2012.

1. Tupp Senior Member

English - Australia
    [FONT=&quot] L’épargne, a beau être très importante pour les Indiens, en ce qui concerne les mariages ils n’ont aucune limite. [/FONT]

a beau être - does this mean "though" in this context? The savings, though very important for the Indians, where marriages are concerned there is no limit.

2. LART01

LART01 Senior Member

The Hague,Netherlands
    French-France
    Hi

Even though savings are very important....
    No matter how important.....

3. Colonel Schnaffs Senior Member

Paris
    English (UK)
    Yes it does - though your translation doesn't quite work. You'd have to say something like "Whilst (or "though" if you want to retain that) savings are very important for the Indians, there are no limits where marriages are concerned.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  4. epillarbox Senior Member

Guildford UK
    English UK
    Or consider: For all that savings are very important to...

5. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

All of the possibilities proposed make sense. Even your own "Though".

What is confusing, however, is that your original sentence has a comma after L'épargne -- it should not be there. Perhaps that will help you understand the meaning better.

Though savings are important...

(It might be more natural in English to say Though having money in the bank is important…)

6. Tupp Senior Member

English - Australia
    Merci beaucoup, Wildan. I must confess, I added the comma because I thought it made better sense with it... will remove it immediately. Thank you everyone for your imput.