ayúdame vs.ayudame

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Jesse Brault, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Jesse Brault New Member

USA - English
    hi--- i am wondering whether the command "ayúdame" carries an accent or not (its from something i am writing, in the phrase "ayúdame, por favor"). i think it does, but i am not sure and would like to know for sure. thanks for your help...
  2. aceituna

aceituna Senior Member

Leiden (Netherlands)
    Madrid (España) - castellano
    Ayúdame (tú).:tick:
    Ayudame (vos).:tick:

3. Gorgiewave Senior Member

Scotland, English
    Me encanta este distinctionillo.
  4. LA_Andaluza

LA_Andaluza Senior Member

Español (Spain)
    I think ayúdame always carries an accent because it's an "esdrujula" word (the stress is on the third syllable from the last: a-YU-da-me) unless you pronounce it with an Argentinian accent:a-yu-DA-me
    I hope it helps.
  5. P^O Member

Pasig City
    Philippines / Filipino
    Hi, yes, an accent should be placed on the "u," so it should be "ayúdame" or "ayúdeme" if you would like to sound more politely.

If you are learning Spanish, putting emphasis on mastering accents is very important since some words, although spelled exactly the same, have a different set of uses and meaning depending on the placement of the accent.

Thanks, I hope this helps.
  6. Jesse Brault New Member

USA - English
    thanks for the help--i appreciate it.
  7. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Welcome to the forum
    Now, please read the rules.
    Rule #22 says you must adhere to the standards of the language. That means, among other things, starting sentences with capitals, and writing I, not i, which does not exist in English as a word.

2. When you review the WR Rules, make sure to read this part portion concerning Titles.

3. Always provide context, not just a word in a vacuum. Please reveiw this as well.
    about Context.
    The Moderators
  8. Jesse Brault New Member

USA - English
    My apologies! I will make sure to adhere to the rules stated--I didn't even know that they existed beforehand, and again, I apologize. Thanks for pointing this out to me.