1. 2sesame Junior Member

America - English
    Hello everyone,
    Can someone tell me the meaning of the above phrase? I know and understand the literal translation. I have a friend from Mexico who says this is not used, but I believe I have heard it before. What context is it used? Thanks so much!

2. momax Senior Member

usa english
    It is a an idiom, which is an expression to say "Wow, there are so many" or simply a way to express surprise. I use to have a book on called "Dichos y Dicharazos" that I got in college 20 years ago, and that would probably give you a better explanation. But, yes, it is used in Mexico. Unfortunately many of these sayings, some which are good advice, are being lost even in Mexico. I love them, and I use many of them.

3. Will T Junior Member

Perú
    Perú, Peruvian spanish
    Yes, what momax said is true: "Wow, there are so many". That's what I call, a "mexicanism" and only can heard in Mexico or surrounding areas.

4. elbeto

elbeto Senior Member

¡Ay, Chihuahua! Hace mucho que no escuchaba la frase completa.
    Momax got it. Nowadays, the "¡Ay Chihuahua!" is still in use (I do use it a lot) but the second part, I remembered my father or my grandfather saying it, but it has been a long, long time.

5. laydiC

laydiC Senior Member

Spain
    Puerto Rico, USA spanglish
    I love that phrase!! jejeje... iI had never heard it before...but its very funny... me la apunto!

6. mrgshelton

mrgshelton Senior Member

Long Beach, California
    USA--English
    Hola foreros…

Am I correct in saying, “¡Ay, Chihuahua!” is a euphemism, as is “¡Ay, Chicago!” and that both serve well as an exclamation uttered upon stubbing one’s toe or landing a sharp hammer blow onto a thumbnail. It seems they’re euphemisms for, well, “¡Ay, Ch-----o!” A similar type of euphemism exists in English, but not with the same meaning. It's “Son of a biscuit eater!”

7. akila1 New Member

spanish
    The meaning is ejem; when you see a lot of people wearing the same kind of shoes,shirts or weathever, that they bought in a sale.

8. lucia2 Senior Member

Chicago, USA
    English - USA
    Hi everyone:

My husband, for some reason, is obsessed with discovering the orgin of the expression "Ay Chihuahua." Does anyone know? And what is the full refrán? I have heard several versions:

Ay Chihuahua, cuánto apache, cuántos indios sin huarache"

It sounds like it is a racist sort of expression?

9. Kibramoa

Kibramoa Senior Member

Deep South, U.S.A.
    Spanish - MX
    It do not think is racist, it is just a play on words that rhyme. Furthermore, apaches did not live in México.

:)

10. lucia2 Senior Member

Chicago, USA
    English - USA
    Yes, I know that the Apaches did not live in México, but it sounded like the kind of expression that people might consider offensive.

11. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod, I say, Moderator

Arizona
    American English
    That is not accurate: until 1848, all of the territory inhabited by the Apache was claimed by Mexico. In addition, the historic range of the Mescalero band of Apaches included part of present-day Chihuahua.

12. bailarín

bailarín Senior Member

Ciudadano del mundo
    English (USA)
    I know this is a bit late, but I've been told that this is a play on words, or a PG-rated version of a vulgar word.

¡Miercoles! (PG) = ¡Mierda! (R)
    ¡Chihuahua! (PG) = Various chingar terms (R)

13. MrYeahbut Senior Member

New Mexico
    USA- English
    I hear it used here in Southern New Mexico quite frequently... usually meaning to be surprised at something unexpected. Such as a man picking up his girlfreind from the mall and she's bought ,like 20 pairs of shoes. Since he knows she already has a 100 pair, he would just look to the sky and say '¡¡Ay Chihuahua!!

14. TravelinTom

TravelinTom Senior Member

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    English - Texan
    They did! The Apache had no permanent towns or dwellings, they ranged throughout what is now the American Southwest (from Texas to Arizona) and Northern Mexico. Even after the US took over the principal part of their range, they ignored the new border and continued to range and raid into Sonora and Chihuahua. Spanish was their lingua franca. Band names and leader names reflect their Spanish/Mexican cultural roots: Jerónimo, Mangas Colorados, Jicarilla, Coyoteros, et cetera. The poor soldados at posts like Arizpe, Sonora well knew the Apache lived there