1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

---(((Ayed's Questions)))---

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ayed, Dec 23, 2004.

1. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    If I may, I will give some suggestions:

(1)-Does “He is waited for” equal: “someone waits for him?
    Yes, but he is waited for sounds awkward.

(2)-Ali and Salim, my brothers, accompanied me to a nearby jungle. As we were walking together, Ali cried and fell down. He was bitten by a scorpion. So, I piggybacked him home

Q-Is it correct to say: I piggybacked my “scorpion-bitten brother”? I carried him home on my back. From your previous statement, we already know that he was bitten by a scorpion so there is no need to repeat my scorpion-bitten brother.

(3)-When there is little water in a well and a nomadic tribe tries to water their cattle or themselves, the tribe often asks two of them:

One to get down into the well to fill the bucket with water. The other stands on the outer edge of the well to pull the water-filled bucket out of the well. water-brimmed is fine, it sounds more poetic. I am giving you the general word that is normally used.

Q-In Arabic, we have names for both of the two men. Are there two equivalents for the two men? How correct saying:

--->the one who is in the well” Water Scooper”

--->the one who is on the outer edge of the well” Bucket Puller” or” Water Bucket Receiver” ?

if you have ready names for them, be posted here, please.

(4)-A Muslim who memorizes all “the Holy Quran”, we have a name for him/her:

--->is it correct to say”Quran memorizers”? If so, is it better to be hyphened? No, this is not correct. It would be said He memorized the entire Quran.

Thank you very much in advance,

Ayed’s greetings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice: If the font appears larger than usual, then it is a technical problem. Sometimes, my font seems to you smaller as it appears to me the required size.

2. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Hi Ayed!

1) I think it is the same, but I don't think the passive is normally used. I was taught that we, foreign students, have to avoid overusing the passive. In my opinion, "Someone waits for him" is more appropriate than "He is waited for".

2) It sounds far fetched to me. I would say " I piggybacked my brother who had been bitten by a scorpion"

3) on the edge // I don't know which of the other "water" phrases is correct

This is all I can do, I hope it helps you and wait for the natives, they will surely help you more than I.

Art :) ;) :p

3. kens

kens Senior Member

Canada - English
    Hi Ayed,

1) Technically yes, but it doesn't sound good to English ears. As Artrella says, you should generally avoid passive verbs. There are cases where it sounds fine ("The package was received", "I was punished"), but in this case it doesn't.

2) I agree with Artrella.

3) I don't think we have names for these people in English.

4) Someone who memorizes the Quran is called (I think) a hafiz, which I imagine is taken from the Arabic language.

Hope this helps! :)

4. Tomas Robinson

Tomas Robinson Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    USA, English & Spanish
    Have a nice day! :)

5. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    Yes, that is absolutely fine. That is the way I would say it.

Like someone said, "piggybacked" is an unusual word. That is good, I think, because it makes your writing more unique :) It sounds better to use these rare words.

6. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    Artrella, thank you for your comments.

Yes. Right you are!. It is called”hafiz kitab Allah”The Holy Quran Memorizer”

That is, does it sound good”Quran Memorizer”?

Thomas Robinson and Nick, Thank you very much.

--->What if I named the one who brims the bucket at the bottom of the well “Water Scooper” or “Gopher”?

--->How about calling the one who is on the outer edge of the well” Bucket Puller”?

--->I’ll suggest some ideas to be carried out by such a student:

Which of which correct:

(1)-I suggest that some of home works be done at school

(2)-I suggest that some of home works to be done at school

--->Is it correct to say:

(3)-The more days of our worldly life elapse, the nearer we be to the Hereafter

(4)-The more days of our worldly life elapse, the nearer we will be to the Hereafter

In advance, you’re much thanked. At last, your corrections are appreciated

Notice: If the font appears larger than usual, then it is a technical problem. Sometimes, my font seems to you smaller as it appears to me the required size.

7. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    Neither are correct. First, "homework" is one word and it is always singular.

You could say:

I suggest that you do some of your homework at school.
    I suggest that some of your homework be done at school.
    I suggest that some homework be done at school.

You could say:

As our worldly life elapses, we become nearer to the Hearafter.
    The more days of our worldly life elapse, the nearer we become to the Hearafter.
    The more days of our worldly life elapse, the nearer we are to the Hearafter.

8. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    Thank you Mr.Nick for your comment .Appreciated you efforts
    My regards
    Ayed

9. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Well, how strange! I don't know what I just did. I was replying to ayed's original post and it came up as his own post!! It is #1! I don't understand that !?!
    Just so that you know, my corrections show up there. How weird.

10. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    I think you pushed Edit instead of Quote ;)

11. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    Thank you .Jacinta , I am waiting for your correction.

my greetings

12. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English

Yes, I'm sure Nick is right. I am in such a hurry during this holiday season, I shouldn't post at all!! :eek:
    Thank you, ayed, for not being upset with me for altering your original post. I will be more careful with my buttons in the future!

Merry Christmas,

jacinta

13. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    Nonsense, it gives us something to smile about :)

Merry Christmas to you too

14. Sharon

Sharon Senior Member

United States, English
    Jacinta, oh, how funny!! :p I was really confused, reading that post, because it seemed to me as if he was talking to himself!! Thank you for solving that little mystery! Hee,hee, the dreaded "Computerish" strikes again! :D

Ayed,

2.)As we were walking together, Ali cried out and fell down. He had been bitten by a scorpion, so I ...(carried him home piggy-back.) OR ...(gave him a piggy-back ride home.)

*The first sentence, I think you mean that he cried out, if he shouted in startlement and pain. :eek:
    "He cried" is more like "he wept,"... which would happen after he was bitten.:(
    I changed the last sentence to how I would write it, for some reason I would try to avoid the past tense of piggy-back. (It might be personal style, but I just don't like it! :p)

3.)One to get down into the well to fill the bucket with water. The other stands on the outer edge of the well to pull the brimming bucket out of the well.

*I would say it like this, because "brimming" tells you the bucket is full, and the first sentence said that it would be full of water.

Q-In Arabic, we have names for both of the two men. Are there two equivalents for the two men?

*I really don't think there are equivalents for the two men. After you have described their positions and actions, you could describe them as "the bucket filler" and "the bucket receiver."

15. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    Hi, Jacinta, Thank you for your “special comments”. This kind of comment is called “Jacintan Innocent plagiarism:).

Sharon! Very much thanked are you for your effort in clarifying my sentences.

All of you are thanked.

My remembrances,

Ayed

16. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    Hi, all of you, Wordreferencepals.

It is sometimes difficult for me to find what I have in my mind. That is, such an equivalent. For example:

1-To get a foreign visa, I to go up or correspond the foreign Embassy , get and fill in an application form, I have it signed by my own employer department, re-submit to , signed by the Ambassador and get visa approved ,eventually.

1-My question is this:

What is called this activity I have frequently done? Is it called” official transactions” or “official affairs” or what?

2-My simple request is this:

I need “the Administrative terms” concerning activities done daily by a clerk or a secretary .That is, when a document is arrived at an official office, received, registered and numbered such as :“Due in”, “Due out” and the like.

Sooner not later, I be very lucky to read your helpful responses, pals.

Ayed’s regards

17. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English

:D :D

Hello, ayed!! I am going to suggest that you open a new thread with your current question. You will get more responses this way :) .

Happy New Year!!
    jacinta